TrueNAS Scale 23.10.1 installation fails

JeanS72

Cadet
Hi,
I am trying to install latest TrueNAS Scale version 23.10.1, but installation always fails on some way (multiple different issues)
First there came USB related errors, but those were fixed by using new USB stick as a installation media. I used Balena Etcher as a media creator.

Hardware is Asus Zenith Extreme + Threadripper 1950x + 128GB ECC RAM + Quadro K620 GPU.
This setup has been used long time successfully on VmWare server, so it should not be any HW issue.
I used TrueNAS Core as a VM on VmWare, but I am trying to use TrueNAS Scale directly on hardware.

As first fix attempt I removed all unneccessary HW; HBA SAS card, 10Gbs Network card and additional NVME disks.
Both UEFI only and CSM enabled (with Auto) tried.
Also tried to install instead of old Samsung Evo970, brand new Samsung 990Pro, but still same errors.

I able to proceed with some errors until entering password, but then installation eventually fails to various errors on extracting phase, see pictures.
Or it just simply stucks to extracting phase.

Br Jan

Attachments

• IMG_5667.jpg
    IMG_5667.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5670.jpg
    IMG_5670.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5672.jpg
    IMG_5672.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5674.jpg
    IMG_5674.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 135

JeanS72

Cadet
I got help on other forum, and now issues are solved.
First I updated BIOS to latest one. There came still a lot of those errors, but installation and actual start-up was successfully.
I could not configure networking as screen was immediately filled with errors.
But when added these to GRUB; pci=noaer pci=nommconf pcie_aspm=off then I got rid off errors (at least errors were hidden).
I will still investigate which of above are really needed, but now TrueNas Scale is usable.

So it was just incompatibility of my hardware and Linux,

JeanS72

Cadet
Still couple adds:
So just adding 'pcie_aspm=off' to GRUB options was enough
And make this as permanent change, here was solution: