Truenas CORE installation failing

Sawesome1018

Cadet
I am trying to install TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U3.1 and it does not seem to work.
The computer has an Athlon x4 750k processor, 10gb of ram (1 of 8gb and 1 of 2gb). I am using Rufus 3.14 to create a bootable drive out of the iso, but I also tried Rufus 3.13 and Balena etcher and both got the same error message. I was able to install Ubuntu onto the computer using the same methods and got no errors.
I have attached the error message i get when installation fails

Any help would be appreciated
20210525_160332.jpg

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Those "da1:umass" errors are not good, assuming that is your installation medium? Can you test with it plugged into USB 1.0 port on the back, make sure its not on USB3 specifically?

Sawesome1018

Cadet
Those "da1:umass" errors are not good, assuming that is your installation medium? Can you test with it plugged into USB 1.0 port on the back, make sure its not on USB3 specifically?
just tried it with the usb plugged directly into the mobo, and same error, except didn't get the "da1:umass " errors

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Did you happen verify the SHA256 checksum of the USB image before you burned it? Something doesn't seem right and I'm thinking the image isn't good for some reason.. (Or failed copy to USB stick)

Sawesome1018

Cadet
Did you happen verify the SHA256 checksum of the USB image before you burned it? Something doesn't seem right and I'm thinking the image isn't good for some reason.. (Or failed copy to USB stick)
using Rufus it said the checksum of the iso was correct, and when i used Balena etcher it said it failed, so it could be that it failed to copy

zatan

Dabbler
i have the same issues, Can this 12 U3:1 install on USB 8gb?
try it on dell server and hp server.

Sawesome1018

Cadet
if it failed to copy, how would i fix that problem?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Redcoat

MVP
the same usb stick that im trying to use to install truenas was able to get ubuntu copied over and installed with no problems, so i doubt its the usb stick
Numerous reported experiences here would suggest that your conclusion isn't appropriate in the case of a TrueNAS install and support @sretalla 's recommendation.

Sawesome1018

Cadet
Numerous reported experiences here would suggest that your conclusion isn't appropriate in the case of a TrueNAS install and support @sretalla 's recommendation.
so you're telling me that out of all 8 usb's that I've tried, all of different sizes and brands, ALL of them are broken, despite being in perfect working order for everything other than this one specific task?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So you can actually do the install on any computer or even a VM if you want. Could you possibly get using a different computer to create the boot device? Then after the writing of the installation is complete plug it into your NAS.

Sawesome1018

Cadet
So you can actually do the install on any computer or even a VM if you want. Could you possibly get using a different computer to create the boot device? Then after the writing of the installation is complete plug it into your NAS.
i tried it on a couple different computers, and it still failed. it there a way i can download the OS onto a drive without needing to make a bootable usb?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
i tried it on a couple different computers, and it still failed. it there a way i can download the OS onto a drive without needing to make a bootable usb?
If you couldn't create the boot device on multiple different computers it is most most likely something you are doing. Bad usb media, bad iso download or something about the install tool(uefi vs bios maybe)…

Sawesome1018

Cadet
If you couldn't create the boot device on multiple different computers it is most most likely something you are doing. Bad usb media, bad iso download or something about the install tool(uefi vs bios maybe)…
i dont think its a bad iso download, as the checksums all turn out good, for the install tool, what would you recommend? when i do it now, i use bios, but should i use uefi or something else?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
i dont think its a bad iso download, as the checksums all turn out good, for the install tool, what would you recommend? when i do it now, i use bios, but should i use uefi or something else?
I just dd the iso to the usb, I don't use a tool

zatan

Dabbler
I fix my error with a cheap 32GB USB 2.0 from microcenter. The kingston 32GB USB 3.0 dont work at all. Not all USB is created equal.
also can install on scandisk USB.

Last edited: