PLEASE HELP: Hang or Infinite reboot on installation

Hi, I am new to NAS.
I am converting my old HP Z10 CMT Workstation into a family NAS.
I have made two bootable USBs to install, 1, using YUMI-UEFI-0.0.4.1.exe, the other using the download from https://www.balena.io/etcher/?ref=etcher_menu and put TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1.iso on both.

From YUMI: -
The PC boots - the menu appears - I hit enter.

I get to Masks - see photo attachment and the PC hangs

From Balena: - Using Freenas (see attached photos)

I get to Masks - see photo attachment and the PC hangs

From Balena: - Using Truenas (see attached photos).

I get to Masks - see photo attachment and the PC get to Masks and reboots.

When I pause before the reboot, 1 see a message saying "Failed to find bootable partition". (see attached photos).

WHEN I boot without the USBs, the PC boots into windows 7 normally, with no issues.

You can see from the attached photos, Drive E is to be used as the new Boot Drive once I can get NAS to install.

It is currently empty, having been formatted and marked active.

The system has 8GB ram and is stable when running windows.

Please help

Many thanks

Andy

PS your system rotated the last two images sideways
Yumi 1.jpg
Balena.jpg
Yumi 2.jpg
Disks.jpg

Evertb1

Guru
Hello Andy,
By now you must be disappointed thet you did not get a single reaction in almost 2 weeks. If you still want to start wit TrueNAS iI would advice you to do te following things:
Read the TrueNAS manual (see documentation section) to get an idea what TrueNAS is all about
Read the Forum Rules so you can do a more succesfull post
Study the requirements for TrueNAS and see if your hardware can meet them at least somewhat
Make a plan for the purpose of you future NAS
Throw away everything that has to do with Windows on your future NAS computer (you can't create a dual boot system succesfully )
Follow the manual for installing TrueNAS (it really is OK)
Come back to the forum with your questions as soon as you are somewhat better prepaired.

Lots of succes!

Hello Andy,
By now you must be disappointed thet you did not get a single reaction in almost 2 weeks. If you still want to start wit TrueNAS iI would advice you to do te following things:
Read the TrueNAS manual (see documentation section) to get an idea what TrueNAS is all about
Read the Forum Rules so you can do a more succesfull post
Study the requirements for TrueNAS and see if your hardware can meet them at least somewhat
Make a plan for the purpose of you future NAS
Throw away everything that has to do with Windows on your future NAS computer (you can't create a dual boot system succesfully )
Follow the manual for installing TrueNAS (it really is OK)
Come back to the forum with your questions as soon as you are somewhat better prepaired.

Lots of succes!
Hi

I did read, and don't want a dual boot system.
The tech sheet said my PC is sufficient to use as a file server for my home network and to run NAS software.

What Forum rules have I broken? I saw nothing in the new post rules to suggest I was doing anything wrong.

I am simply trying to get help to get the install to run so I can install NAS on the old HP Workstation as described above.

How about a simple "This is what you did wrong..." since I followed the instructions I found on your site about how to create the install USB stick that doesn't work?

Or doesn't the site actually provide actual help for newbies?

This is where I found the instructions I thought I followed and asked for help with https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U5/install.html

How about actual links to the bits you suggest I need to read, given you obviously think I failed to read the right instructions

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
The problem is - or rather some of the problems are that
I, and possibly very few people do, do not have a HP Z10 CMT that they are trying to run TrueNAS on.
The problem is almost certainly hardware related and I don't have your hardware
I personally don't have a clue what the boot process is doing at that stage although your boot media is clearly recognised

Have you tried UEFI & BIOS Boot?
Check the motherboard firmware for updates available.
I build my boot USB's with Rufus - they work for me
I would suggest wiping the disks (HDD's) first
Make sure you have the RAID turned off and can address the disks individually as JBOD

Given the Z10 is certified for Ubuntu, also (and I am not suggesting that you use Scale) but try downloading a TrueNAS Scale Beta ISO and try and boot that - see if it works.

All of this may help you figure out what is wrong.

BTW - if all you want is SMB Shares then Scale, if it boots, may work for you. Its reasonably stable at the recent Beta

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
How about a simple "This is what you did wrong..." since I
It is not as much what you did (wrong) but what you did not do. In the Forum rules you can find a lot of usefull information if you are new (and not so new to be honest) to TrueNAS One section is about telling us (the forum) what hardware you wan to use.

Part of the text in the "Posting To Get A Response" section is this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:
  • Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards
It can be convenient to add hardware information to your signature (click your username ‣ Signature). Remember to update that signature when your hardware changes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The components mentioned here are not randomly chosen. These are the components that are fairly critical for a succesfull TrueNAS application and can be the source of a lot of problems. So, telling the Forum members what you have, gives you a much better change of adequate help.
And as @NugentS explained, you can't expect that the forum members know what components are used for a HP Z10 CMT and how it is configured.

So the hardware information and other usefull stuff mentioned in the rules can help you to create a succesfull post.