Fresh Install TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3 - First boot stuck

moresatish

Cadet
Hello Community!

First time user here, trying to move from an Asustor NAS to a custom NAS server for home (basically Plex).

Thank you for this forum, without which, folks like me are lost.

Here is what I am trying to do, and maybe my hardware is just not supported yet.

Hardware:
  1. Minisforum UM773 Lite (mini pc)
    1. Ryzen 7 7735hs
    2. 680M onboard GPU
    3. Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsink NVMe (TrueNAS OS drive)
    4. Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB
  2. Installation
    1. Downloaded TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3 from truenas site
    2. Wrote ISO to a 16GB USB stick using RUFUS (ISO the first time, DD the next time; tried multiple Fresh OS installs overwriting boot drive and got the same error on first boot as shown in the attachment)
    3. Installation showed some FIPS errors in the beginning, but went through the installation steps fine. Removed USB and rebooted.
    4. On reboot, the systems halts at a certain point (see attached pic). I tried the install 3 times, booting halts at the same spot.
    5. I changed GPU settings on the bios, to change GFX memory allocation from 2GB to 8gb to auto, but still stuck on same issue.
  3. Other considerations:
    1. There is no network/internet connection yet. Does TrueNAS need internet to get a successful first boot?
    2. My media will sit in an external RAID 0, but i have not connected it to the mini pc yet. I thought i would complete the basic configuration and then move onto volume assignments and such.
Is this hardware / drivers incompatibility? Is this why folks go through Proxmox and create a TrueNAS VM in there?

Any pointers/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best,
Sri

Attachments

• 20230801_120709.jpg
    20230801_120709.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 250

osroc

Cadet
I have the same issue where first boot gets stuck at "JPEG decode is enabled in VM mode". I'm running an ASUS PN53, so it might be something related to certain AMD mobile chips.

In terms of debugging, I've updated BiOS, tinkered with settings in BiOS, and removed various components. The only removable component I haven't tested taking out is the WiFi/BT chip. I ended up giving up after all that, but I'd be interested if anyone has a solution.

Aipoc76

Dabbler
are you running on windows with VMWare , VirtualBox, ect.. ????