Install on Supermicro stuck at grub rescue

Janus Ng

Explorer
I have just bought a used controller with a Supermicro X11DPU motherboard.

I tried to install TrueNAS 23.10 onto it using the iso mounted with the virtual media of the BMC of Supermicro.

It failed with 4 different failures on each boot randomly.
Failure 1 message
Welcome to GRUB! error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_acorn.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_amiga.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_apple.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_bsd.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_dfly.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_dvh.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_gpt.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_msdos.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_plan.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_sun.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/part_sunpc.mod' not found' not found. error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found' not found. grub rescue> _

Failure 2 message
Welcome to GRUB! error: invalid arch-independent ELF magic. grub rescue> _

Failure 3 message
Welcome to GRUB! error: ELF sections outside core. grub rescue> _

Failure 4, hang in a blank screen
GRUB Blank screen.jpg

I have tried all the options in the BOOT mode of the BIOS (Both, UEFI and Legacy). The ISO was loaded in LEGACY and DUAL mode but not in UEFI mode. :(
BIOS BOOT Mode Select.jpg

It has no boot drive installed yet as I am still waiting for the SFF-8643 to NVMe adaptors.

Last edited:

Sawtaytoes

Patron
Make sure you have the correct boot mode setup in the boot order. There are both the legacy and UEFI modes available.

I ran into the same issue with a Supermicro H12SSL-NT board. Even today, I only recently got UEFI boot working with TrueNAS after the latest install. I'm also in Dual-boot mode, but I made sure to configure UEFI as the default boot too!

If you're having issues, I'd recommend trying to put the Legacy boot mode first.

Janus Ng

Explorer
Thanks for your advice. I switched to a USB drive and it works in both legacy and UEFI modes. The virtual media of IPMI is somehow incompatible with TrueNAS 23.10.