TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1 - Can't Unlock Dataset/Pool

adamslab

Cadet
Just update to Scale 23.10.0.1, which seemed to go ok except that I was unable to unlock the dataset. I received the following error after entering in the passphrase:

warning
Error details for PhatPool1
'/mnt/PhatPool1' directory is not empty (please provide "force" flag to override this error and file/directory will be renamed once the dataset is unlocked)

After clicking continue, this message was shown:

error
Error: datasets
'/mnt/PhatPool1' directory is not empty (please provide "force" flag to override this error and file/directory will be renamed once the dataset is unlocked)
remove_circle_outline
More info...
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 426, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 466, in __run_body
rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *([self] + args))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1254, in run_in_thread
return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1251, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 181, in nf
return func(*args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 50, in nf
res = f(*args, **kwargs)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/dataset_encryption_lock.py", line 183, in unlock
verrors.check()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 70, in check
raise self
middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] unlock_options.datasets.0.force: '/mnt/PhatPool1' directory is not empty (please provide "force" flag to override this error and file/directory will be renamed once the dataset is unlocked)

I did not want to attempt to unlock the dataset with the force flag since it indicated it would rename a directory, and wasn't entirely sure what ripple effects that would have. I did some searching and came across a forum post from back in 2022 where someone else reported the same error (directory is not empty) but was able to workaround it by entering the key via the shell and then manually mounting the dataset:

zfs load-key -a
zfs mount -a

This worked for me as well so the error appears to be a gui/cosmetic issue...? I understand that 23.10.0.1 is still basically beta... Of course the /mnt/PhatPool1 directory isn't empty as it's where all my data (smb shares, etc.) are... That it's not empty should not stop it from being unlocked...