TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.2 - Installed Apps Running but not showing in GUI after app update

mjflower

Dabbler
Had installed a couple of apps from the Truecharts repository (unifi and Pihole) and all working well. There was an update for both a day later and upgraded those no problem. Another image update today but it it appears to have completed the update after what the task notice said failed image pull but the GUI just spins when trying to access the installed apps.

I have rebooted but it has not changed the ability to access the installed apps. After that reboot following what look liked a failed image update I get an email form the system indicating upgrade warning cleared and that it installed. Unifi and Pihole are accessible but I cannot access them from the Apps GUI. It let me install another app from the list of apps but that one I cannot access but that could be unrelated.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can try or if I messed something up?

Thank you

Last edited:

mjflower

Dabbler
ah ok thanks for that, will do.

truecharts

Guru
As you might have noticed on the discord, we hit an iX bug that caused the UI to break.
It has since be mitigated and fixes have also been posted to our discord for those affected with the bug.

Also:
We would HIGHLY advice to never ever post a debug public.

mjflower

Dabbler
Thank you. I had a look at the discord and saw the fix. I'll have to roll back both as I can't remember which caused the issue now. Thanks for that. Thanks also for the advice re debug. I've deleted it but I suppose the damage is done.. Rookie mistake.

Thanks again

hypercoffeedude

Dabbler
This happened to me too after updating containers.

TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.2

truecharts

Guru
This happened to me too after updating containers.

TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.2
That's sad to hear.
As stated before we've already publicised a repair solution on the discord and a released a fixed version.

Besides we highly advice our users to check the discord announcements before updating and ensure you always refresh your catalogs before updating.

kvess

Dabbler
Does anyone have the link to the TrueCharts post that explains this issue?

truecharts

Guru
Does anyone have the link to the TrueCharts post that explains this issue?
We generally handle all our support requests on discord.
But on this case we'll be sure to also make a general post on the forums shortly.

hypercoffeedude

Dabbler
I did find the information on a Discord thread. I have followed the instructions but still haven't got my apps back yet. I updated multiple apps that day and it has been difficult to redo all the steps for each one. I think I might be missing one, because it still is not working. Should I follow up with this on Discord?

truecharts

Guru
I did find the information on a Discord thread. I have followed the instructions but still haven't got my apps back yet. I updated multiple apps that day and it has been difficult to redo all the steps for each one. I think I might be missing one, because it still is not working. Should I follow up with this on Discord?
The UI would break on the first App that had the broken patch.
But yes, generally we only provide support on the Discord, as we cannot keep track of TrueCharts related posts mixed into this forum.

ok1718

Cadet
Could you tell me too? How to find this information?

truecharts

Guru
Could you tell me too? How to find this information?
The discord thread should be available still but will be archieved shortly. The problematic version in question has not been available for days by now, all recent versions do not have this issue.
We assume/advice always to refresh the catalogs before update, but even if you did not, it should already have refreshed by now.

In the future it might be faster to ask directly on the discord where to find information on there ;-)

mjflower

Dabbler

kvess

Dabbler

That's sad to hear.
As stated before we've already publicised a repair solution on the discord and a released a fixed version.

Besides we highly advice our users to check the discord announcements before updating and ensure you always refresh your catalogs before updating.
What do you suggest for people like me who have banned from your discord channel because of the thin skin of your mods?

I am currently in the situation where i have lost access to my installed apps, and apparently the solution only exists on your discord channel? is it then appropriate to even ban people at all? seems to be you guys should be more public facing with these kinds of things or eliminate the banning of individuals from your discord channel.

Please post the fix publicly.

truecharts

Guru
What do you suggest for people like me who have banned from your discord channel because of the thin skin of your mods?

Discord membership is not something that is, or should be, required: Since a few months all announcements are posted on:
- Twitter
- Facebook
- Telegram
- Discord

Most likely in this list are at least one or more solutions you can use to stay up-to-date with our project.
I am currently in the situation where i have lost access to my installed apps, and apparently the solution only exists on your discord channel?

The issue going on here was present in precisely 1(!) version back in october last year, it's not something ongoing or something that is of any relevance today.
It was very specific issue with BETA and we are now at RELEASE.

is it then appropriate to even ban people at all? seems to be you guys should be more public facing with these kinds of things or eliminate the banning of individuals from your discord channel.

All our annoucements have been public and cross-platform for months now.
But yes: When we ban you, you're basically cut off from our support at this stage. But to be clear: You're not a paying customer, the community support we as a project supply is not something you are entitled to in any way, shape or form.

That being said:
We are actively and continuesly working on non-discord based support channels. As we also do not like the reliance on Discord and we also generally don't cross-platform ban people as well.

To be clear:
We have a public appeal policy for bans if you think a moderator or admin was wrong in banning you. But making posts with statements about 'thin skinned moderators', would not help it if you want to be unbanned in the future.

Discord membership is not something that is, or should be, required: Since a few months all announcements are posted on:
- Twitter
- Facebook
- Telegram
- Discord

Most likely in this list are at least one or more solutions you can use to stay up-to-date with our project.

The issue going on here was present in precisely 1(!) version back in october last year, it's not something ongoing or something that is of any relevance today.
It was very specific issue with BETA and we are now at RELEASE.

All our annoucements have been public and cross-platform for months now.
But yes: When we ban you, you're basically cut off from our support at this stage. But to be clear: You're not a paying customer, the community support we as a project supply is not something you are entitled to in any way, shape or form.

That being said:
We are actively and continuesly working on non-discord based support channels. As we also do not like the reliance on Discord and we also generally don't cross-platform ban people as well.

To be clear:
We have a public appeal policy for bans if you think a moderator or admin was wrong in banning you. But making posts with statements about 'thin skinned moderators', would not help it if you want to be unbanned in the future.
Well. The issue is still occuring. And, without the ability to see logs and such, as it seems truecharts is either incapable of (which isn't good) or unwilling to (which is even worse) allow the general public any form of troubleshooting outside of direct contact with the dev (not even devs as last I understood it) to do so.

As for an appeal, I was banned by a mod for questioning their silencing me for 24 hours. In what world could I possibly expect a fair appeal given that the benchmark for my ban was PMing a mod about the silence in the first place.

And as far as 'thin skinned', your single dev (unless you've gotten more) is so thin skinned he's picked fights here and gotten himself suspended from this forum more than once. He picks fights, pushes people around, generally isn't a good person... And instead of actually moderating, you bullies just ban anyone that disagrees with your dev. So, I have little desire to be welcomed back, as I have no doubt the disgusting nature of your heirarchy there won't suddenly remedy itself.

So, yeah... Thin skinned is incredibly appropriate. But, if you'd prefer, I can call him some more appropriate names if that were to clarify things ..

Now, with that said:
Specifically updating between 22.02.RELEASE to 22.01.0.1 I encountered the same (presented as same) issue. It seemed as if the Kubernetes back end (or whatever you call it) was/is broken for some reason. I fixed it, but I couldn't tell you why it worked. (I initially rolled back to 22.02R but the issue persisted. I then did a shutdown/reboot (several times as I was testing ways to recover). SD/R kept leading to the same Kubernetes break. Eventually I just went through and stopped each app, I guess until I got to the broken one. (Again, it's reasons like this that you really shouldn't ban people from your discord, especially for childish/petty reasons... SOME of us are good at this shit... SOME of us can actually work around things when they're broken... SOME of us want to actually help others wneh their systems go to shit... Some of us actually understand how others feel especially in those situations. But I digress) after stopping each, I spun each one up, updated if it needed it, and deteled all the apps I've been testing keeping only the core ones I need. (I kind of think it was Jacket, but I'm not sure as I was trying to fix it so I could use plexao my son could watch the same episode of Blues Clues (the 1996 version) for the billionth time (it's the ladybug episode in case you were curious)). it was a slow and tedious process, but worked. I have not yet tried to boot from the upgrade (I'll wait til the kids are in daycare tomorrow to possibly take it down for an extended period of time and actually sift through they why's of what's happening.

But, I've no desire to keep it a secret like some people, so feel free to copy/paste or give the readers digest version for your members... Don't even need to credit me.