TrueNAS, Samba and Spotlight

phradr

Dabbler
I post this because I was asked for by an admin.

To all who are waiting for the spotlight support:
We had long discussions and debuggings within another, older thread that furthermore was started in the FreeNAS section.
BUT: I think, that the Samba version used by TrueNAS 13 (CORE) AND TrueNAS SCALE both use the same samba source (within actual TN versions at least) and that is what breaks the functionality as there are simply some lines of code that could be read as „not yet implemented“.

For more details please have a look at the FreeNAS thread (LINK) and/or the jira issue I raised (LINK).

Best regards,
phradr

phradr

Dabbler
„...and since iX counts votes on issues to determine whether to implement them, if you're interested in this, please log in to Jira and vote for this issue.“ (@danb35 )

Last edited:

kapitainsky

Dabbler
I have made all ES/FS/Spotlight working - not in perfect way but now I can search by content in Spotlight my documents archive including scans.

I have jail with elasticsearch and fscrawler and Debian VM with Samba compiled with SPOTLIGHT ON pointing to jail forwarded ES port 9200. In VM I mount (over samba share) required Docs folder and then share it again with Samba (but this time one that can cooperate with ES). Instead of TrueNAS share I have to mount share from Debian VM server.

Result - I have on my mac searchable SMB share. Surprisingly it works ok. For some reason I can't make this share writable - but as it is for searching archives I am not going to spend time on it.

It is a bit crude but works. Ideally TrueNAS Core can fix their Samba.

phradr

Dabbler
Debian VM with Samba
Are you sure that the Samba version within Debian is not a version patched within debian repo?
Or better to say: Has the original Samba source already implemented that functionality so it simply can be taken by TrueNAS without further coding?

kapitainsky

Dabbler
Are you sure that the Samba version within Debian is not a version patched within debian repo?
Or better to say: Has the original Samba source already implemented that functionality so it simply can be taken by TrueNAS without further coding?
I am not using Samba provided by Debian distro as they do not compile it with Spotlight support.

I use vanilla samba from samba.org and compile it from source. On Linux any version I tried (and I tried few) works fine (re ES/spotlight). Only on FreeBSD it seems that http.c file needs extra patches - it is part of FreeBSD samba port but unfortunately not TrueNAS Core one - hence issues.

I wonder what is the situation on TrueNAS Scale - as it is Debian based and Samba is compiled with spotlight support.

phradr

Dabbler
I am not using Samba provided by Debian distro as they do not compile it with Spotlight support.
I must be stupid as you mentioned it before *facepalm*