TrueNAS Replication: Problems with PULL task

Breit

Dabbler
Hi there!

I'm trying to set up a replication PULL task in TrueNAS to backup a FreeBSD server using ZFS onto my NAS over SSH.

On the FreeBSD server side, I've set up an auto snapshot task which does weekly backups using zfs-auto-snapshot. This seems to work fine and creates snapshots and also removes them after the retention policy says so.

On the TrueNAS side, I've set up a replication PULL task over SSH which should recursively pull those weekly backup snapshots from the boot-pool (called 'zroot'). This starts OK, begins to copy stuff and then does fail after some time.

If I do a manual snapshot on the FreeBSD server side and PULL that to TrueNAS recursively, that works fine and completes.

After a lot of debugging, I figured that zfs-auto-snapshot does not create snapshots for every dataset in the zfs tree. For instance the tree looks something like this:
  • zroot
    • ROOT
    • usr
      • home
      • ports
      • src
... and so on

Now 'zroot' gets a snapshot, 'zroot/ROOT/default' also gets a snapshot, but 'zroot/ROOT' does not get a snapshot. I believe this is what bugs zettarepl and where it fails to continue. Is there a way to either force zfs-auto-snapshot to create snapshots for every dataset in the tree or make zettarepl continue for child-datasets, even when the parent does not have a snapshot fitting into the scheme?

A manual snapshot creates a snapshot for every child dataset in the tree and this is probably the reason why the PULL replication task succeedes here. I've also checked properties on 'zroot/ROOT', it is not excluded from the weekly snapshot schedule. I also do these snapshots with the '-k' option meaning it should keep empty snapshots.

sretalla