TrueNAS not showing in Windows Network Neighborhood - restart of SMB Service on NAS required

Fitz

Dabbler
Dear all

It is what the title says: since moving from TrueNAS 12 to TrueNAS 13 U1 (fresh install), it sometimes happen, that the NAS is not showing up in the Windows Network Neighborhood. No matter how long I wait or how often I refresh, the icon does not pop up here. The NAS is available via IP Address, Web Interface can be reached, but not showing itself in the Windows File Explorer.

In TrueNAS 12 this worked all time and after the upgrade, it randomly does not work. The only element changed in the environment is the install of TrueNAS.

Yes, all Shares are showing IF it shows, all Permissions work IF it shows, files can be accessed, all good. Simply it does not show all the time.

The only solution I found is to restart the SMB service on TrueNAS, after restart it does not even take a second and it shows up in Windows. (22H2 19045.2364)

Anyone have an idea, what happens here ?

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
First, update to U3.1 ...

jlpellet

Patron
In Network>Global Configuration, are 3 boxes in Service Announcement at upper right checked? In the share config advance options, is browsable to network clients checked? Have your tried unenabling the share, restart smb, enable the share, restart smb? All I can think of so good luck.
John

Fitz

Dabbler
In Network>Global Configuration, are 3 boxes in Service Announcement at upper right checked? In the share config advance options, is browsable to network clients checked? Have your tried unenabling the share, restart smb, enable the share, restart smb? All I can think of so good luck.
John

Yep, all active and in most case the NAS shows, but not always. All shares active, all selected, it works 95% of the time, but sometimes not. To resolve it already works just to tick the slider for the SMB service off and on again and all is there. Doing the 4 steps above helps too, but I think the inital trigger to make it work again is the restart of SMB. Until now, I was not able to replicate or find a pattern until now.

Paul5

Contributor
Something similar happens to me at least once a year or after some installs assuming it's not a known bug. Reboot all equipment in the network, routers switches, Power line adapters, and disconnect and reconnect all cables including the NAS. If it's a network card than possibly remove it, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser (at your own risk) and reseat. This should eliminate any hardware issues.

This also works if you still use USB's for the Boot drives, example: Every few years I get a corrupt boot or boot mirror USB, I shutdown unplug and replug the USB's back in several times and reboot. On boot TN automatically resilvers the faulty boot drive and it's then good for another few years.