Windows cannot access //TRUENAS

Yes, this has already been discussed, but none of the solutions helps in my case.
I have a fresh installation of TrueNAS Core 13, I have set up pool and dataset, created user and group, configured ACL and SMB.
Windows (11) can access my QNAP NAS, My Apple-TV can access the SMB share on my TrueNAS.
Windows shows TrueNAS under network locations, but refuses to access it. Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found.
I have watched YouTube clips and read forums for hours. I have tried every suggested solution that I know of.
Please! This is my last hope.

garm

Wizard
You havent explained enough for anyone to help,

But for you to have some thread to start pulling at, what makes you think windows would be able to resolve \\TRUENAS?

You havent explained enough for anyone to help,

But for you to have some thread to start pulling at, what makes you think windows would be able to resolve \\TRUENAS?
Because Windows detects my TrueNAS server as \\TRUENAS. As it does with my other NAS (QNAP).
And of course I have read what 0x80070035 means. I'm not that noob.

Pelle84

Dabbler
Did you resolve this?

jeg har det samme problemet, send meg gjerne løsningene i PM på norsk.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
jeg har det samme problemet, send meg gjerne løsningene i PM på norsk.

Greetings -

Welcome to these forums.

Please note that the main forums are English language, and you are expected to post in English here. Supporting multiple languages in the main forums is untenable. If you do not speak English natively, please know that we're fine with machine-translated messages from services such as Google Translate. These don't always work well, but we will still definitely try to help you!

M3r4ki

Cadet
Did you resolve this?
After configuring TrueNAS Scale to use Active Directory, local account user cannot access folders and files with username and password. Note that Active Directory users can access the folder.

Even using the TrueNAS netbios name: TRUENAS\user, I don't have access.

MrGuvernment

Patron
if you do an nsloolup on TRUENAS does it resolve to an IP....if not, your DNS records are not likely correct.

Morris

Contributor
I suggest you advertise the TrueNAS server via NetBIOS. Under Network on the left, chose Global Configuration. Check both NetBIOS-NS and WS-Discovery.

flashdrive

Patron
I suggest you advertise the TrueNAS server via NetBIOS. Under Network on the left, chose Global Configuration. Check both NetBIOS-NS and WS-Discovery.
@Morris
thank you very much - enabling "NetBIOS-NS" did the trick for me!

I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1

Why this is necessary for Windows 10 with the latest updates is beyond me...

@ix systems:

How about making this a default setting given all the findings in the forum about error code 0x80070035 ?

wanstronian

Dabbler
Hi folks, I'm having a similar issue. When I upgraded from FreeNAS to TrueNAS, the static ip setting changed and I didn't realise until I lost connections on a reboot.

I can now connect to my server shares on Windows 10 via SMB using (the new) IP address, but not by UNC. When I do "nslookup TRUENAS," I get the old IP address.

\\TRUENAS appears in Windows explorer but comes up with the dreaded "Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found." when I click on it.

Under Network | Global Configuration the hostname is correct. Under Network | Interfaces, igb1 is set to the new IP address (igb0 is disabled) and under Interface Settings from the Dashboard, DHCP disabled and IP address set so that it's static.

Any idea why NSLOOKUP is returning the old IP address?

The thought occurs that I could simply set the static IP back to the old address, but I'd rather understand what's going on!

wanstronian

Dabbler
You probably need to go fix some stale DNS or hosts entries. Depending on particulars of client you may also have to enable the netbios nameserver.
Thanks, I previously set NetBIOS-NS to true, but it made no difference so I toggled it off.

Afraid I'm not sure where I go to fix DNS or hosts entries, can you advise?

Jack Graymer

Cadet
Same, any idea?
I have checked both NetBIOS-NS and WS-Discovery.
I am completelly new to this, installed the system 3 days ago. All good no problems, transferred 1Tb files.
Today suddenly file path not found.

Jack Graymer

Cadet
Same, any idea?
I am completelly new to this, installed the system 3 days ago. All good no problems, transferred 1Tb files.
Fixedby typing the \\ipadress\poolName, in my case \\192.168.178.100\Plexserver instead of \\TRUENAS\Plexserver, this somehow stopped working after a couple of days.

wanstronian

Dabbler
Same, any idea?
I'm by no means an expert, but I did the following:

Reset my static ip in Truenas to be outside my router's DHCP range (a rookie error by me originally)
Rebooted the server so it could re-establish its connections

nslookup now can't find Truenas at all, but Windows Explorer is working fine and my mapped drives seem stable for now.

chuck32

Guru
nslookup now can't find Truenas at all, but Windows Explorer is working fine and my mapped drives seem stable for now.
Just my 0.02, stick with mapping the drives via the static IP address and be done with it.

How many people would access your shares and is there a need to be able to do it via \\hostname?

I haven't had trouble assigning static IPs inside my DCHP servers range so far, but you may be right that that should be avoided, don't know.

You could also check mDNS with the other settings.

Did you flush your DNS records on Windows? ipconfig /flushdns

Jack Graymer

Cadet
To make double sure, in my router settings I reserved the static ip used for Truenas, so the device with the MAC adress X is also given by the router the same ip. That way you are double sure that both device and router point to the same IP

homer27081990

Patron
To make double sure, in my router settings I reserved the static ip used for Truenas, so the device with the MAC adress X is also given by the router the same ip. That way you are double sure that both device and router point to the same IP
I found out (after a lot of eyestrain), that Windows 10-11, while trying to support the latest SMB protocols (allegedly), almost certainly try to break interop with SAMBA, and even have issues q.

1. Configure static IP for TN CORE
  2. Configure DNS name (on router, as an override or static entry, or whatever they use, if they don't, setup your own DNS jail on TN) for the TN machine, in the form of truenas.domain.tld. Also configure (in DHCP, if you can, else in the windows machines themselves) domain.tls as search domain (DNS suffix)
  3. Configure all windows machines to use SMB 3.0
  4. Disable "wait for network" group policy
  5. Make sure that the account you use to access the shares is not the same name as an account on the Win machine, that uses Windows Hello (PIN, face, bluetooth and such). If that is the case, create new accounts on the machines specifically for the purpose of accessing the shares.
  6. Do not use account names "Administrator", "Domain Admin", "Guest"
  7. Before connecting to a share, if not using a new account, change the account password (not for security reasons, but for the mess microsoft has made with the interop of different editions of the User Manager). Mostly applies to machines that shaw Windows upgrades (eg, 10 to 11)
  8. Delete all credentials for truenas in credential manager
  9. Unmount all shares
  10. Clear winsock-dns cache
  11. Verify SAMBA config again and again
  12. Reboot TN and PCs
  13. Try using the form "user@TRUENAS" and avoid the netbios form

Last edited: