TrueNAS 13.0-U5.3 upgrade windows shares not accessible

adam25131

Cadet
Hi All,

This is my first post, I am a self taught newbie to TrueNAS. I have come to this community for many solutions and I have learnt so much in the last 18 months!

But after 48 hours of pulling my hair out, I just cannot figure this one out.

I recently upgraded from version 12 to 13.0-U5.3 and as soon as the upgrade was finished, none of the windows machines on my network can access anything relating to truenas. The server works and accessing with web UI works fine. Opening the mapped network drive, or looking at the devices on the network brings up the following error.

1692312805291.png

Nothing I have tried has worked, last night I got some success by booting back into the version 12 boot and it worked straight away. I cloned this boot to keep it safe and upgraded again, and this time it worked (for 24 hours). Tonight the problem is back again, no windows machines can access the NAS but it works through the IP portal.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. I am good with computers and hardware etc but this is definitely new to me! I have tried deleting and re-creating the SMB shares but this has not helped. If you need any information from my system please explain how I can get it, I am definitely still learning my way around!

Thanks

NugentS

MVP
Does "ping truenas" at the windows commandline return the correct IP address of the server and a successful reply?

adam25131

Cadet
Hi,

Windows CMD returns "Ping request could not find host" when doing ping truenas
When pinging the IP address itself, pings are returned.

Thanks

NugentS

MVP
Then I would suggest that DNS / name resolution is your issue.
Do you have a DNS Server, or are you a typical home user type site with youd DNS pointing at the router?

Assuming the above
Instead of \\TrueNAS try \\IP_Address and then map the drives using that instead - thats the quick and dirty solution - should get you working

Then check the following:
1. In Network / Global Configuration - what is the hostname and domain set as?
2. In Services / SMB (edit) - what is are the settings there - can you post a screen print of all settings, including the advanced options?

adam25131

Cadet
Thankyou for your help, I have got it working with a suggestion from @sretalla on another post from earlier today. I disabled and re-enabled WS Discovery and it instantly came back online.
Hoping now to stop this from happening again, in the other forum post, it was suggested use of Jails could be the reason, I do run a plex server, have I set that up incorrectly or something different I should set up to stop this happening again in the future?
Many Thanks

NugentS

MVP
I wouldn't have thought so

Redcoat

MVP