Upgrade issue 13.0-U2->13.0-U3

tomchr

Cadet
Hello,

I've been relying on FreeNAS/TrueNAS since 2019 and love it. I started on FreeNAS 11.2-U6 and have always upgraded to the latest stable release through the Dashboard->Check for Updates. That approach has worked reliably until now.

I upgraded from FreeNAS 12.0-U8 to TrueNAS on May 2, 2022. I forget the exact version of TrueNAS but it was the latest stable release at the time. That upgrade went well. I updated the data pools to include the latest flags.

I had issues after the upgrade to 13.0-U2. Displaying the contents of a folder on the NAS in Finder (on Mac) took minutes versus seconds before. Cloud sync tasks that normally take a few minutes to run would take hours and usually not finish. The error message indicated some sort of network timeout. Checking for updates through the Dashboard->Check for Updates would time out as well. Installing a fresh copy of TrueNAS from USB did not solve the issue either. It seemed like a network issue, but the web UI responded fast as always. I did try a different network cable and different port on the switch. I also looked through the startup log (dmesg command) but found nothing of note there. I thought the NAS hardware had bit the dust, so I swapped the drives into a (nearly) identical machine and rebooted. Lo and behold, TrueNAS came to life and performed to spec.

Life was grand until I upgraded from 13.0-U2 to 13.0-U3. Then I had the same issues: Extremely slow responding Finder, cloud sync tasks ending in network timeouts, Dashboard->Check for Updates ending in timeout, etc. I swapped back to the original hardware and the issues went away.

It almost seems like there's something that's tied to the CPU - maybe a seed for a random number generator or the CPU ID - that needs to get reset after the upgrade. Am I missing something obvious?

I've also noticed that starting with 13.0-U2 the hardware now needs to have a GPU installed in order to boot. This was not the case with the previous version of TrueNAS or with FreeNAS. Without the GPU I get the Apple start-up chime but no activity on the data drives. I prefer to run without the GPU to save a bit of power and fan noise.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight in to what's going on here and how to fix it in the future.

Hardware:
Machine #1 (running since 2019):
Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) "cheese grater" A1289-2314. Intel Core Xeon W3520 @ 2.66 GHz. 48 GB DDR3 ECC RAM, 2x 10 TB WD HDD (data), 1x 2 TB Seagate HDD (Time Machine), 1x 512 MB SSD (boot drive). Built-in NIC. APC brand UPS connected to USB.

Machine #2 (spare):
Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) "cheese grater" A1289-2314. Identical to Machine #1 except it "only" has 32 GB RAM.

Clients are Mac and PC (Windoze 10).

Thanks,

Tom

tomchr

Cadet
I should add that I did try resetting the network adaptors to no avail.

Tom

tomchr

Cadet
I'm still trying to understand why updating from U2 to U3 results in slow performance and swapping the hardware back/forth helps resolve this.

Tom