TrueNAS Mini X+ and XL+ maximum memory with TrueNAS 13

venezia

Cadet
Hi there

Recently I upgraded my mini X+ to 128GB of memory (replacing the original two RDIMMs for 2x64GB RDIMMS) - I did not try using the original RDIMMS together with the new memory as they technically did have a different speed and I did not want to have any compatibility issues. Having success at that, I decided to buy 6 more 64GB RDIMMs so I could fully upgrade my X+ and XL+ (I have one replicating the other, etc.)

The machines boot, get past the initial screen to select any boot options, however early into the normal boot they both hang at the same spot. I think I catch some sort of fault happening, but it goes by a bit too fast. I've tried 3 memory sticks (I know this isn't optimal, but to bring it to 192GB of memory) and get the same issue. 128GB loads just fine, but memory over this (or at least 192GB) seems to break the boot. Is there a compiled limit of how much memory is allowed?

I presume that since the bios seems happy (and I get the initial boot options screen, etc.) that the system is OK with the memory, but rather the OS seems to be having some hangups - but I could easily be wrong. The motherboard on these things is a Supermicro a2sdi-h-tf - which is what I used to check memory compatibility. It suggests 256GB is fair game.

I guess what I'm asking is this: has anyone tried to use Truenas 13 on these devices with memory over 128GB? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I suppose I do not need 128GB of memory, but it might be good to know what the limits are for others, etc.

Thanks!

terrysimons

Cadet
Ah interesting... I'm hitting this too. I thought maybe I had bad RAM, but I also found the below post suggesting maybe BIOS 1.5 added support for 256GB - I was running bios 1.4 (from super micro) but 1.6 is the latest.

I just updated my BIOS to 1.6 (and my BMC to the latest as well) so I'll try the 256GB config again this weekend and see if it works.

terrysimons

Cadet
Also I did try mixing my original RDIMMs with the new ones and it didn't work - I got a 2F error on the BMC boot screen, where as with the 256GB configuration I see a FreeBSD debugger hang after it start booting.

With the v1.4 firmware from Super Micro the RAM did show up in the BIOS and there were no errors in my BIOS event logs, but FreeBSD seemed to choke - sounds like we hit the same thing?

Europa2010AD

Dabbler
A little off topic, but would you guys mind telling me which brand of memory are you guys getting for your XL+?

My XL+ originally came with 2 x 16GB of memory, then I added 2 x Micron 32GB PC4-19200 DDR4-2400MHz ECC CL17 288-Pin DIMM modules, making it a total of 96GB. But the system is failing to boot :(

wdp

Explorer
Just wanted to bump this, see where you all may have landed.

I have an XL+ running at 128Gb, but have been debating seeing if I can push it to 256Gb.

awasb

Patron
If it's the model equipped with a supermicro a2sdi then ... yes.

256GB worked in the a2sdi-8c-hln4 over here with 4x Samsung M393A8G40AB2-CWE (64GB RDIMM ECC). But stream performance didn't scale up beyond 128GB (in my case), that's why I removed it (in late 2022) and stuck with 128GB.

Last edited:

wdp

Explorer
My XL+ is a production box for work, so I won't risk taking it out of stable condition. But if I had one spare to test on, I'd update that bios so fast. Ha!

It would be cool if we could formally make use of 256GB capability. The processor and motherboard are both spec'd for it. I think it would benefit video and photo applications as a desktop unit.