Dell T110 II working with Registered ECC memory?

Harryd91

Cadet
Hi,

I just got a Dell T110 to replace my failing T3500 today with 16GB RAM installed. I know it's only supposed to work with UDIMMs but I decided to take a look at what was in there anyway, and It has RDIMMs installed? I have also put in another 8GB from my old machine and this too is working.

Very confused as everybody is saying it shouldn't even detect the memory? TrueNAS Core is installing as we speak and everything is going smoothly. Is this some kind of anomaly, or was there some update that allowed for the use of RDIMMs? Is there any danger in using RDIMMs in this machine? Assuming it won't be able to make full use of all the features, but being able to use cheaper memory is still a win..

BIOS is 2.5.1. Posting this here as I'm sure there are a few other T110/TrueNAS users out there that I'm sure would be pleased they may not have to shell out so much for RAM.

Thanks
Harry

QonoS

Explorer
I doubt that there is any chance for this to work out of an "accident" or by software updates.

Are you really sure it is registered ECC DIMM ?

ECC UDIMM usually has 9 ICs per side and
reg. ECC DIMM usually has varying number of ICs per side but a distinct Chip in the middle of one side the module, which ECC UDIMM has not.

On eBay and other plattforms ECC is OFTEN labeled wrong.

Harryd91

Cadet
I doubt that there is any chance for this to work out of an "accident" or by software updates.

Are you really sure it is registered ECC DIMM ?

ECC UDIMM usually has 9 ICs per side and
reg. ECC DIMM usually has varying number of ICs per side but a distinct Chip in the middle of one side the module, which ECC UDIMM has not.

On eBay and other plattforms ECC is OFTEN labeled wrong.
Yeah looks like you were right. I didn't know how to identify it properly and it appears to be ECC UDIMM. Thanks for clarifying that for me