Mini XL+ - ram upgrade

walvord

Dabbler
Hi,
I'm hoping to get a sanity check to help me understand why this isn't working. I recently purchased a mini xl+ with the stock 2x16gb of ram (DD4-2400 RDIMM ECC), and tried replacing both sticks with 2x64gb of ram (DDR-2400 RDIMM ECC). It won't even post with either of the 64gb sticks in the a1 slot. With the original ram installed, it'll boot, and the bios shows the motherboard as a supermicro A2SDi-H-TF, which supposedly supports up to 64gb of this memory per slot. I can't figure out why it's not working, unless both sealed and un-tampered with brand new sticks are faulty somehow. It seems more likely that I'm overlooking something.

thanks,
will

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
They could simply be incompatible. Are they in the Qualified Memory list for the board?

walvord

Dabbler
They could simply be incompatible. Are they in the Qualified Memory list for the board?
There are no 64gb sticks listed on the tested memory list, but I think I might have just found the issue. Newegg lists it as RDIMM (which is what I thought it was), but a part number search on the manufacturer's site shows that it's actually LRDIMM. I feel like this is a dumb newbie question, but I haven't been able to find anything in black and white specifically stating this. If a motherboard is spec'd as supporting 2 types of memory - x amount of RDIMM memory and x amount of UDIMM memory, does that defacto mean that LRDIMM is not supported? I'd assume so (shouldn't have trusted newegg), but want to confirm.

warllo

Contributor
Lrdimm is different than rdimm. rdimm support doesn’t necessarily translate lrdimm support. To my knowledge none of the atom boards support lrdimm. In my experience the motherboard manual will explicitly say lrdimm is supported if it is.

walvord

Dabbler
Cool. Thank you for confirming! At least now I know why these aren't working. A quick check on newegg, and they have a lot of listed rdimm's which are actually lrdimm's. Luckily, I can re-purpose these in a server which supports lrdimm.

Thanks again to both of you.