Truenas install onto windows 10 Pc

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you have to ask, you really should not proceed without some very serious research. TrueNAS would run instead of, and not alongside or on top of Windows.
More importantly, the question reveals a meaningful lack of knowledge that is relevant and necessary, and simultaneously not at all exclusive to TrueNAS. I don't have any specific recommendations for what you should study, because it's been decades for me, but hopefully someone else will have suggestions.

MrGuvernment

Patron

dairober

Cadet
Thank you very much for your reply. You are correct, I am new to network attached storage and obviously a novice. I am trying to build a home nas with a spare pc so any help would be appreciated

maxudak

Dabbler
Can I load Truenas Core onto a Windows 10 Pro Pc?
Thanks
Yes, it's a very good idea! I do so for my pc, and propous to everyone.
This is a good idea for your Windows and all its programs. Read the details on the Internet. For example, data exchange between host and guest in Windows is up to 10 GB/sec. Snapshots will securely save your applications and data.

Yes, it's a very good idea! I do so for my pc, and propous to everyone.
This is a good idea for your Windows and all its programs. Read the details on the Internet. For example, data exchange between host and guest in Windows is up to 10 GB/sec. Snapshots will securely save your applications and data.
I am so confused right now...

What even is this thread?

asap2go

Patron
Can I load Truenas Core onto a Windows 10 Pro Pc?
Thanks
I used Oracle's VirtualBox to install Core to try it out. Worked great for testing and fiddling around. Better not do that if you want to store important data on it though.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thank you very much for your reply. You are correct, I am new to network attached storage and obviously a novice. I am trying to build a home nas with a spare pc so any help would be appreciated
Possibly you can install TrueNAS on that PC. Possibly, because that depends on the exact hardware configuration which you should post if you want some helpful comments.

The reason this thread is running astray a bit is your initial question. There is no such thing as a Windows 10 Pro PC. There are PCs. They can run Windows, they can run Linux, they can run TrueNAS. If you install TrueNAS on your PC it will become a TrueNAS host. If it did run Windows before, that will have to be removed/overwritten with the TrueNAS software.

asap2go

Patron
Possibly you can install TrueNAS on that PC. Possibly, because that depends on the exact hardware configuration which you should post if you want some helpful comments.

The reason this thread is running astray a bit is your initial question. There is no such thing as a Windows 10 Pro PC. There are PCs. They can run Windows, they can run Linux, they can run TrueNAS. If you install TrueNAS on your PC it will become a TrueNAS host. If it did run Windows before, that will have to be removed/overwritten with the TrueNAS software.
Oh, I completely overlooked the possibility of this being a misunderstanding.