TrueNAS Core as file server

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

If I think about setting up a file server there are two other topics that go with file server:
  1. Virus Scanning
  2. Backup
Both of these applications are io intensive and want to be "on box" and not on another computer or even a vm/jail. Backup may need access to a "tape drive" to save data to as well. Is there a trick to getting the FreeBSD version of Bacula-SD and Bacula-FD to run on TrueNAS Core? It seems that when I "think" about using a tape drive I have to wade thru bugs with bhyve and pci passthru or bugs with iocage and devfsrules that are broken. I am 99% sure the TrueNAS host has access to the PCI slot, pci HBA and SAS Tape drive with no issue.

And don't tell me to use TAR to backup my ZFS data to tape or I will tell you to sell your car and ride a horse to work.

I am running TrueNAS Core 12.0-U3 on a FreeNAS Mini.

Thanks,
Joe

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
"on box" and not on another computer or even a vm/jail.
A jail is effectively "on box" if you mount the right locations.

is there a trick to getting the FreeBSD version of Bacula-SD and Bacula-FD to run on TrueNAS Core?
Probably running it in a jail, maybe with a permissive devfs ruleset to allow access to the tape device.

bugs with iocage and devfsrules that are broken
Not really the case since TrueNAS 12... have a look at it again.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you do set up A/V in a jail, you will probably need to disable "Alternate Datastream" support in your SMB shares. I am not aware of any A/V software that scans xattr contents on *nix boxes (clamav source on cursory glance doesn't make syscalls to get them), this means it's trivially easy for a malware author to entirely bypass the A/V scanning. That said, this was just a glance and a notice that you should do some independent testing (don't trust with A/V vendor says they do).

RegularJoe

Patron
PCI Passthru with bbhyve in the gui does not show any devices to pass to my vm.

From the BSD help it sounds like I have a loader, a mask of the hardware I want to use and commands to add to the bhyve guest. Once I add this to the guest are those permanent or after a reboot are the settings lost?

sretalla