TrueNAS as offsite backup using OpenVPN

Kerwin

Cadet
Hey folks, I need some help. I recently upgraded to a new desktop and have converted my old desktop into a TrueNAS system. I want to use it as an offsite backup of my Synology NAS that I’ve been using for a while. I’ve got HyperBackup setup between the two on my local network, but I’m hung up on the VPN setup for the offsite solution.

I have OpenVPN setup on my Synology and can access it via remote computers and my phone, but the config file exported from DSM VPN center doesn’t provide a Private Key that seems to be essential within TrueNAS for setting up the certificates correctly. I have seen other posts that talked about the missing private key issue, but didn’t see a solution in those posts.

I’ve tried creating new certs to use on my Synology via Easy-RSA and attempting to create new certs in TrueNAS and importing them to force having a private key associated with my Synology server. But, I haven’t been able to get anything to work. My issue would be solved if TrueNAS just accepted the config file like my phone and laptop do. Does anyone else have this setup? If so how did you get it to work?

MrGuvernment

Patron
Is wireguard an option in Synology?

Or do you by chance have a router such as pfsense / OPNSense ?

Kerwin

Cadet
I don’t have one of those routers, but thanks for the idea for wireguard. I was able to get wireguard installed on my Synology and I am able to connect with my phone.

I think I have wireguard setup correctly on my TrueNAS but I’m not sure. I followed the tutorial on the TrueNAS documentation hub to enable it. I’m assuming the wg0.conf is the client configuration file exported from wireguard on my Synology. The tutorial wasn’t very clear on that part. I’ll have to wait until I take my TrueNAS to my offsite location to test out the VPN.