TrueNAS as NAS for Hyper-V

ajbrehm

Dabbler
I am currently running a small vSphere cluster at home using TrueNAS NFS as storage. This works absolutely fine. (Although I did have to change a setting about when to write files to disk in TrueNAS to make it anything but terribly slow.)

I wanted to replace the vSphere hosts with Hyper-V hosts.

Is there a way to make TrueNAS work as storage server for Hyper-V, preferably the same share used by vSphere?

I read somewhere that exporting as SMB does not work unless the SMB server is a Windows server. Hyper-V will refuse to use SMB shares, apparently. Is this a known problem? Is there a way around it?

Any ideas?

NugentS

MVP
I guess you changed the sync writes setting. Be warned that for things like virtuual disks - this is not optimal as you can corrupt the disks if the NAS has an unexpected power outage / kernal panic. The usual solution is something like a Optane used as a SLOG (not an M10)

What protocol are you using?
NFS or iSCSI? I don't use Hyper-V, but I would have thought they would be vendor agnostic - you just have to figure out how to connect windows to the shares so you can create the virtual disks

NugentS

MVP
Just be aware that async writes do put up to 5 seconds of writes at risk IF you get a sudden power outage or kernal dump. This doesn't really matter for SMB files or similar, but does matter for databases and virtual disks which can get badly corrupted in such events