SOLVED TrueNAS as a network client

marshalleq

Explorer
Hi, are there any plans to add this funcationity to scale? I have two boxes (one currently with unraid on it) and and have come back to look at the state of TrueNAS on my dev box. Looking very nice I have to say!

However, I don't seem to be able to connect it to network storage (other than iscsi). I can't as far as I know even connect it via NFS, but anything even SMB would be a bonus.

So, does anyone know if it is on the roadmap to add TrueNAS as a network client i.e. mounting a foreign existing file system into unraid somewhere? Unraid has this and it's pretty essential in my setup.

Many thanks,

Marshalleq.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
However, I don't seem to be able to connect it to network storage (other than iscsi). I can't as far as I know even connect it via NFS, but anything even SMB would be a bonus.

So, does anyone know if it is on the roadmap to add TrueNAS as a network client i.e. mounting a foreign existing file system into unraid somewhere? Unraid has this and it's pretty essential in my setup.

Hi Marshall, I think it depends on how you plan to mount and then use the storage?
Can you describe the use-case more fully?
Are you trying to sync or migrate data?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have, for example, attached storage to my SCALE box from my CORE box in order to have Plex accessing the media library.

I do it like this:

Create a Post-Init script under System Settings | Advanced to run this script:

Code:
#! /bin/sh

mount 192.168.1.2:/mnt/tank/videos /mnt/truenascore/videos

I needed to create /mnt/truenascore/videos first and give it the appropriate permissions.

My TrueNAS core is sharing the path via NFS.

I then use that path to mount into the Plex app.

Last edited:

marshalleq

Explorer
Well, one use case is tdarr. I need to mount a remote cache that is shared between the host and nodes. On top of that the source material is on another host. This system is just a remote node.

In addition there are remote document stores and other media that would need mounting. These have multiple nodes that require access.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Well, one use case is tdarr. I need to mount a remote cache that is shared between the host and nodes. On top of that the source material is on another host. This system is just a remote node.

In addition there are remote document stores and other media that would need mounting. These have multiple nodes that require access.
So, you want specific Apps to be able to mount local and remote "datasets"?
Does @sretalla advice work for you?

marshalleq

Explorer
Hi, yes I hadn't thought of using a script to do it. Of course it would be much better if I could get this outcome in a less clunky way, but the outcome will work just fine.

Thanks everyone and thanks to @sretalla for posting the example.

Marshalleq.

Selassie

Dabbler
I have, for example, attached storage to my SCALE box from my CORE box in order to have Plex accessing the media library.

I do it like this:

Code:
#! /bin/sh

I needed to create /mnt/truenascore/videos first and give it the appropriate permissions.

I need some assistance to configure the automounting of a share from my storage box running Truenas Core to be seen by App on Truenas Scale. I can mount the drive manually via the shell but get errors when I try to enter the credentials in the Fstab file. Your suggestion above seems like a much better way.
I'm using this command to mount manually, mount.cifs //192.168.1.56/smb01/data /mnt/tv -o user=***, Pass=*** 0 0
The error I get when mounting this manually is it asks me for a password in the shell, but then it mounts. when I put the same line in the Fstab file (minus the mount.cifs) if get an error and it ignores the line completely. I have attached a screenshot of the add Init/Shutdown Script dialog box, but not sure how to enter the information you have provided above. The mount point is in place etc so almost good to go.

Attachments

• 2021-11-26_23-45-10.jpg
    2021-11-26_23-45-10.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 524

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't think the Pass= argument should have a capital P... Probably why it prompts for the password at the cli.

I use NFS, so don't specify a password to mount, but rather set the user at the NFS share end.

Selassie

Dabbler
I don't think the Pass= argument should have a capital P... Probably why it prompts for the password at the cli.

I use NFS, so don't specify a password to mount, but rather set the user at the NFS share end.
Thanks, I double-checked the Fstab file again just now and I did not have a capital P, it was a typo in the message I sent. How would I enter the credentials in the Post-Init script, I came to the dialog box and wants sure if you can enter more than one line at a time.

Selassie

Dabbler

I do it like this:

Code:
#! /bin/sh

sretalla, if I am understanding correctly, what you have done above is create and script that has the mount command and put it in the /bin/sh folder. Change the permissions to make it executable and point to it using Init/Shutdown command/Script. Is this correct or have I overcomplicated it?

sretalla