External USB drive solely for passthrough to a VM/docker

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
I’m a current unraid user but the parity situation with no bitrot correction scares me. I have been watching TN Scale for a year now and think it’s safe to try.

I understand ZFS doesn’t play well with external USB drives and would not do that for my main storage pool.

However specifically I have a lot of drives filled to the brim (99% full) with Chia plots running on my unraid server. It seems foolish to try to limit vdev use to 80% and use these drives - don’t need parity or any protection, if one dies so be it.

So I’m wondering if it’s possible at all to hook up USB drives externally NOT in a vdev and just pass them through to a specific container. They would only be accessed by whatever chia client I would be running (machinaris I think is available).

I guess the question is, does everything have to be ZFS or can truenas access external drives stored in other file system and pass that data to a docker?

Appreciate anyone who might take the time to answer. Thank you.

sretalla