TrueNAS 13.0 as NFS store for VEEAM with ZFS Dedupe

JoeAtWork

Contributor
Hi All,

Well, I am trying to use VEEAM 11.x and write to a nfs mount from a virtual veeam windows server. In VEEAM I can say use dedupe compatible compression but it does not look good for space savings, 1.18 dedupe ratio.

Does anyone have a guide to using Veeam, vmware and dedupe ZFS destinations?

I have 192gb of ram, 6 mirror vdevs and a 500gb nvme disk for a dedupe device.

I will have a NetApp filer in a few weeks and the direction from the start is to use dedupe and compression, so I assume the NetApp filer will work perfect....

Thanks,
Joe

c77dk

Patron

blanchet

Guru
Unfortunately ZFS deduplication does not work for real workloads:
- It consumes a lot of RAM (several GB/TB)
- It has very limited benefits: the deduplication ratio is low
- it increases the import time (why is already very long when you have a large pool)

Despite the lack of deduplication, TrueNAS is a very good backup repository for Veeam. It is much cheaper than Netapp.

sretalla