TrueNAS 12: Not able to delete VMware Snapshots config

lysunht

Cadet
I'm not able to delete the VMware Snapshots config items, the console of browser shows the following error message:

{error: 22, type: null, reason: "Message is malformed: 'method' is absent.", trace: null, extra: null}

The items can be edited though.

Is there any command I can run in the shell to delete them?

NobleKangaroo

Dabbler
@lysunht I'm having the same issue today. Did you by chance figure out the issue or find a solution?

I had originally added an ESXi server to VMware-Snapshots while I was rebuilding my vCenter server. After finishing up my vCenter server, I added it too and confirmed it was working before attempting to remove my ESXi server. However upon trying to remove my ESXi server, I get the same error.

Version: TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE (October 19th)

Here's a static image of just the error in Chrome's dev tools:
vrXwhxR.png

And the steps I'm taking to produce the error:
K5JqE1T.gif

I dumped the stack trace to /tmp/log with this code:
Code:
 314                 # + PATCH
 315                 import traceback
 316                 with open("/tmp/log", "a") as fh:
 317                     fh.write("Traceback (most recent call last):\n")
 318                     traceback.print_stack(file=fh)
 319                 # - PATCH

And here's the stack trace (numbers are a bit offset from src/middlewared/middlewared/main.py due to my own added code, and new commits since the release):
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/middlewared", line 10, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1583, in main
    Middleware(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1427, in run
    self.loop.run_forever()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 570, in run_forever
    self._run_once()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1859, in _run_once
    handle._run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/events.py", line 81, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_app.py", line 458, in _handle
    resp = await handler(request)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_middlewares.py", line 119, in impl
    return await handler(request)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_middlewares.py", line 109, in impl
    return await handler(request)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1369, in ws_handler
    await connection.on_message(x)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 318, in on_message
    traceback.print_stack(file=fh)

It seems that middlewared/middlewared/main.py#L313-L316 is where the check that `message` has a key `method`. Outside of that, I'm really unfamiliar with the code as a whole so I'm trying to piece this all together. Instances of objects and such makes it more work to reverse engineer.

Anyone with more experience is more than welcome to poke around. :wink:

NobleKangaroo

Dabbler
Update: I checked iXsystems' Jira and found NAS-107921 which not only links to freenas/webui/pull/4765, but also provides a temporary workaround until 12.0-U1 is released.
Dennis Mullen said:
you can delete vmware snapshots from the command line: midclt call vmware.delete 1 (the number '1' being the id of the snapshot you want to delete). This and other API calls can be found by clicking the settings gear (top right), then API Keys, then Docs. Obviously you need to get the id right to delete the snapshot(s) you intend to delete.

Source: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/N...ssuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-120442

Simply log into your TrueNAS directly (with keyboard/mouse, or over console) or over SSH, become root, and issue the command:
1QSSAE2.png

Note: You'll need to adjust the ID to match your snapshot's ID - simply browse to the settings in TrueNAS UI, and look at the URL to get the ID.

It will be fixed in 12.0-U1, but this workaround should be good enough until then.