JavaScript crashes on login page - {error: 13, reason: 'Not authenticated'}

mtlynch

Cadet
I'm running into a bug with the TrueNAS Core web UI (12.0-U7). When I reach the login page, it fails to process my credentials and the page just spins endlessly.

In Chrome's JavaScript console, I see this message:

Error: { "error": 13, "type": null, "reason": "Not authenticated", "trace": null, "extra": null }

It looks like the JS error is crashing the app entirely and preventing it from processing the login. I've tried opening up the URL in an incognito window, and I get the same result. It gets the "Not authenticated" error in the JS console before I even attempt to authenticate.

If I snoop on the WebSockets traffic in Burp, I see this exchange:

Request

{"id":"a461ca44-1583-16a2-0d9f-c6c44d90ba68","msg":"method","method":"system.general.config"}

Response

{"msg": "result", "id": "a461ca44-1583-16a2-0d9f-c6c44d90ba68", "error": {"error": 13, "type": null, "reason": "Not authenticated", "trace": null, "extra": null}}

I haven't upgraded TrueNAS recently. The only thing I could think of that might be related is that I deleted a user and an SMB share a couple of hours before I noticed this happening, so that may be related.

Versions:
  • TrueNAS Core 12.0-U7
  • Browser is Chrome 96 on Win10
Any suggestions?

Arwen

MVP
Try MS-Edge browser or Firefox.

At work we have all 4 of the major browsers, (MS-IE the old one, MS-Edge, Firefox, Chrome). Somethings work better, or need a specific or different browser.

Oh, and it's possible that your TrueNAS boot media suffered a block failure... so check that whence you get in.

mtlynch

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestion, @Arwen!

I should have mentioned that I did try Firefox as well, and I saw the same behavior.

I tried restarting my TrueNAS server as well, and that didn't change anything, but then it started working a few minutes after a second reboot.

I'm still seeing the "Not authenticated" error in my JS console at login, so maybe that was a red herring and something else was causing the login to fail.

Arwen

MVP
Glad you found something that worked.