TrueNAS 12.0.U3 won't talk to me!

BiffBlendon

Dabbler
Welp... I'm no FreeNAS / TrueNAS expert, by any means, but I've never had this problem before -- and now I've had it twice.

I've successfully installed TrueNAS 12.0.U3 on a Dell R730xd with 24x 7.68TB SSDs and 2x 1TB Boot SSDs. This particular 730 has the standard 4x 1GbE Mezzanine NIC ports and a dual port Mellanox CX5 100GbE PCIe fiber NIC. TrueNAS saw all of the SSDs during the install and it "sees" all of the NICs in the Console.

In other words, everything **LOOKS** perfect!

EDIT: There is NO firewall device and Windows Firewall is completely disabled. I can ping to/from all other network devices with no problem. I've tried two clients now (including the laptop I'm typing this on).

There is no DHCP, and I have both iDRAC/IPMI and direct server access via physical KVM, so I configured the IPv4 NIC address(es) as usual, pressing Number-1 and entering the IPs/Subnet manually. I've confirmed multiple times that I'm connected to the same switch and am on the same Subnet -- for instance, my admin client is assigned 192.168.0.22 with a 255.255.255.0 Subnet. I configure TrueNAS to 192.168.0.233 also on 255.255.255.0, but I *CANNOT* ping to or from the TrueNAS server/client -- again, pings fail from the Windows Client command line Ping and from the TrueNAS shell command line Ping to/from.

I decided to connect DIRECTLY between the two GbE NIC ports. iDRAC and physical lights confirm the NIC ports are hot, but again I CANNOT ping to/from. I've tried BOTH the GbE NIC ports and the 100GbE port(s) and have assigned IPs and reset the system multiple times, and even did a re-install.

I have the same thing happen on another non-Dell server (a Quanta) just last week.

We are NOT on a domain and we do not have a Gateway or anything else setup. We are on a very small, closed, air-gapped network. I can communicate with the other Open-E and Windows-based servers (there are about a dozen total) all on the same subnets (we have a 10.10.10.xx network for IPMI/iDRAC with GUI access via a 192.168.0.xxx both over a single Netgeat Copper GbE switch plus a 192.168.7.xxx network over a Mellanox 100G/25G fiber switch).

I can access the IPMI/iDRAC port through the same switch, but just can't figure out why it seems like the IP addresses LOOK fine, but aren't actually being "applied".

I've never setup a Gateway or Default Route in FreeNAS / TrueNAS (never had to before). Is that now a requirement?

I know this is a Sunday, but I'd really like to have this up and running before Monday rolls around.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
If you are using static IP's I'd typically setup a gateway/default route yes. Assuming you get that up correctly, you should be able to ping out, at least see if you can ping the gateway device specifically.