[TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1] bhyve ram keep growing till vm been forced closed

random

Cadet
I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 on a box with following configuration:
  • Motherboard make and model: Asrock A320M-ITX
  • CPU make and model: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
  • RAM quantity: 16GB
  • Hard drives: Toshiba 6TB*4 running RAIDZ2, boot device: ADATA SU650 120GB*2 mirror
  • Hard disk controllers: onboard SATA*4 and a PCIE sata extention *2 port
  • Network card: onboard INTEL I211AT
I also run a Nextcloud plugin, a jail running stunnel for ssh tunneling, and a bhyve VM running windows 10 for personal mail service.

The VM configuration is:
vCPU:1
Cores:2
Thread:1
Memory Size:4.00 GiB
NIC: VirtIO
DISK: AHCI
All VirtIO driver have been updated to latest stable.

My problem is the bhyve VM always use RAM far beyond the 4GB limit, sometimes it use up to 13GB an then closed by the system.
In the first 5 to 7 hours everything goes smoothly, the bhyve thread consumes around 4150M reportedly. Afterwards the used RAM goes up 1MB every 2 to 3 seconds till it is forced closed. I have googled similar cases, and tried to limit max ARC at around 8GB but does not help.

Another suspected configuration is "memorybacking" setting in virtsh domain script, but I can't save any changes perhaps because of security arrangement in TrueNAS.

Is there any way to force bhyve stop consuming RAM and release the unused RAM?

Thanks for any help.

r5gordini

Cadet
I have a pretty similar problem... Even when idle, bhyve consumes so much RAM that the process is put into STOP state. If I accidentally have my VM start on boot, I can't use my TrueNAS box and have to reinstall it! I have so far been unable to install a guest OS (tried Ubuntu and Fedora).

I can see the RAM of the process grow to 13-15Gb. I only have 16Gb installed in my box. I have a critical need to run a VM for my backup processes.

Did you solve this? Has anyone else got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Andrew