TrueNAS 12.0-RC1 Now Available!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
iXsystems is pleased to announce the general availability of TrueNAS 12.0-RC1! This is the first release candidate of the unified FreeNAS and TrueNAS release, renamed to TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise, respectively. More than 180 bugs have been fixed in this release, representing a significant step toward the full TrueNAS 12.0-Release.

The TrueNAS 12.0 release is a major new update to the TrueNAS family of storage products. TrueNAS CORE is the successor to FreeNAS, which is still fully open-source and offering the same functionality and more features than ever before. Included in version 12 are major changes to the ZFS filesystem, bringing all upcoming OpenZFS 2.0 (Formerly ZFS on Linux). Additionally, version 12 includes these notable changes and improvements:

• ZFS Native Crypto - Per-dataset encryption and support for encrypted replication to untrusted targets.
  • 2 Factor Authentication - Allows using Applications such as “Google Authenticator” to provide an extra level of security before logging into the UI or SSH access.
  • KMIP Support - TrueNAS Enterprise now adds the ability to interface with KMIP servers for the storage and retrieval of passwords and encryption keys.
  • Performance Improvements - Virtually every area of the platform has been updated and includes some major performance improvements, including SMB, iSCSI, ZFS and more.
  • API Keys - All of TrueNAS can be configured with TrueNAS API v2.0 and now supports API keys for remote access. The v1.0 API is no longer supported.
  • Fusion Pools - Allows creating pools with all-flash vdevs that store metadata and small-block IO. This provides flash-like performance on all metadata operations, but with the cost effectiveness of spinning disk for storage blocks.
  • VPN Support - Support for TrueNAS acting as both an OpenVPN Server and Client, depending on your VPN needs.
  • TrueCommand Cloud Integration - TrueNAS 12.0 systems can be connected directly to a TrueCommand Cloud account for scaled monitoring and management of your TrueNAS systems - no additional hardware needed! For Early Access to TrueCommand Cloud, go to portal.ixsystems.com and create an iX account, then send an email to truecommand-sales@ixsystems.com to request Early Access to the TrueCommand Cloud Services. Be sure to include the email address that you used to create your iX Account. For step-by-step instructions for configuring TrueCommand Cloud, see this article on the new TrueNAS Documentation Hub: https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/truecommand/tc_cloud/
These major changes are also paired with numerous other bug fixes and quality-of-life type improvements to the UI and APIs for users. We’ve also revamped our Documentation, focusing more content on how to accomplish specific tasks, reducing the learning curve and time normally spent on deploying TrueNAS in a variety of storage environments.

Release Notes:

Download:

c77dk

Patron
Updated without problems and SMB homeshare is working again :smile:

MikeyG

Patron
Upgrade from 11.3-U4.1 went ok. arc_summary.py no longer works. SMB downloads of relatively small files just got extremely slow. I have a photo of folders with about 22k photos in it. Used to get about 200MBps downloading it. Now I get 10MBps. Downloading large files at 1GBps though. (Speeds in bytes. Photos stored on SSD and accessed via 10gb)

colmconn

Contributor
I managed to update but starting a VM [1] instantly and repeatably crashes the machine. I've since gone back to 11.3U4 where I prepared a debug but I'm not sure how much use it will be. Weirdly there is no textdump from today in /data/crashes.

[1] iohyve start pihole

Unlike in 11.3U4 and despite iohyve_enable=YES being in the tunables, 12.0-RC1 doesn't start iohyve automatically. This it turns out saved my baconn

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Upgrade from 11.3-U4.1 went ok. arc_summary.py no longer works. SMB downloads of relatively small files just got extremely slow. I have a photo of folders with about 22k photos in it. Used to get about 200MBps downloading it. Now I get 10MBps. Downloading large files at 1GBps though. (Speeds in bytes. Photos stored on SSD and accessed via 10gb)
PM me a debug and I'll look at SMB to see if there's a regression there. Changes to samba have been relatively minor compared to previous BETAs.

While RC1 performance is improved over beta 2.1 (refer to thread 12.0-BETA2.1 Now Available at posts commencing here), idle CPU use is still high compared to 11.3-U4.1. This makes 12.0 appear sluggish on minimally specced hardware (e.g. the test server is freenas-t in my signature block).

screenshot.571.png

EDIT: Jira ticket NAS-107580 raised.

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
So far so good. My lagg lost its ipv6 address, but the VM on bhyve still gets one without issue. Curious. jira opened.

TimoJ

Dabbler
Windows Previous Versions browsing is not working correctly. Is it just something in my system or some SMB parameter? It worked fine with 11.3 versions. I can browse and select Previous versions of several days, but when I try to open a deleted file, an error appears saying that the file is not available, try another file. This happened also with previous TrueNAS 12 betas.

But the files are there and open just fine if I browse to .zfs\snapshots and open there. Daily periodic snapshots are enabled, like they always have been.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Windows Previous Versions browsing is not working correctly. Is it just something in my system or some SMB parameter? It worked fine with 11.3 versions. I can browse and select Previous versions of several days, but when I try to open a deleted file, an error appears saying that the file is not available, try another file. This happened also with previous TrueNAS 12 betas.

But the files are there and open just fine if I browse to .zfs\snapshots and open there. Daily periodic snapshots are enabled, like they always have been.
Can you copy the file out of the shadow copy directory? File a bug report and I'll look into it. Samba's VFS was significantly modernized in 12.0 and shadow copy modules touch pretty much every part of it.

jlpellet

Patron
Tried on 2 test systems (Intel i3 & AMD A6 8G non-ECC RAM)). i3 went fine. AMD RC1 failed to correctly create boot partition - result would not boot & all old environments were gone. The system is booting an SSD attached via USB3 port & external case. Not optimal but USB2, MB, or PCIE SATA ports simply won't boot on A6 (expect old BIOS issue). Install produces ongoing CAM errors as shown in the install pic, even if left for an hour. Result produces CAM errors per boot pic. Seems likely a BSD boot partition managfement issue. Same error if install via train or manual. If rel ver does the same, guess I'll try installing on an Intel system the booting the disk in the AMD. Probably won't do anything else before release. Suggestions welcome (other than ditching old AMD) but not needed. As always, YMMV.

Attachments

• RC1_install.jpg
    RC1_install.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 426
  • RC1-boot.jpg
    RC1-boot.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 407

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Tried on 2 test systems (Intel i3 & AMD A6 8G non-ECC RAM)). i3 went fine. AMD RC1 failed to correctly create boot partition - result would not boot & all old environments were gone. The system is booting an SSD attached via USB3 port & external case. Not optimal but USB2, MB, or PCIE SATA ports simply won't boot on A6 (expect old BIOS issue). Install produces ongoing CAM errors as shown in the install pic, even if left for an hour. Result produces CAM errors per boot pic. Seems likely a BSD boot partition managfement issue. Same error if install via train or manual. If rel ver does the same, guess I'll try installing on an Intel system the booting the disk in the AMD. Probably won't do anything else before release. Suggestions welcome (other than ditching old AMD) but not needed. As always, YMMV.

That AMD system may present issues. I'd suggest maybe giving SCALE a whirl to see if we can rule out if its an issue that is BSD specific due to hardware support, or a common problem across both with the way we format boot disks.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Apparently my system is in the overlap where UEFI boot worked in the old (FreeNAS 11) train, but breaks during the upgrade to TrueNAS 12. Rolled back, and I'll try a fresh install with BIOS boot.

Edit: Updated the BMC firmware on my machine as there was reference to a UEFI bug that got squashed and re-ran the upgrade. Worked fine this time. Quick update/boot process although I'm using a 16G SLC DOM which is probably cheating.

Last edited:

TimoJ

Dabbler
Can you copy the file out of the shadow copy directory? File a bug report and I'll look into it. Samba's VFS was significantly modernized in 12.0 and shadow copy modules touch pretty much every part of it.
Yes, I can copy it with regular Windows file manager from .zfs\snapshots subfolders.

But if I use Windows' build in Previous versions function, select a day and then use the just opened file manager to browse a folder that has deleted files, it does show them and their date, size, type etc., but won't allow to do anything with them and just says that the file doesn't exist anymore, try another file.

Not sure how to file a bug report...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, I can copy it with regular Windows file manager from .zfs\snapshots subfolders.

But if I use Windows' build in Previous versions function, select a day and then use the just opened file manager to browse a folder that has deleted files, it does show them and their date, size, type etc., but won't allow to do anything with them and just says that the file doesn't exist anymore, try another file.

You can click System->Advanced->Save Debug and send the resulting file to me through a private message and I will investigate.

hescominsoon

Patron

jira.ixsystems.com is the bug tracker...:)

jlpellet

Patron
That AMD system may present issues. I'd suggest maybe giving SCALE a whirl to see if we can rule out if its an issue that is BSD specific due to hardware support, or a common problem across both with the way we format boot disks.
Scale (alpha) seemed to install properly (booted but not fully operational). RC1 fresh install declared success but system is having trouble booting (lots of CAM errors & failing to find boot pool). I think there may be a compatibility issue between the MB, the USB-SATA case chipset, & the OS. I plan to take no furhter diagnostic actions until release but am open to suggestions, as always. Seems like that system could stay at 11 until it dies.

ThreeDee

Guru
Updated without a hitch .. just a couple jails and some SMB shares .. still working great1