Resource icon

Troubleshooting disk format warnings in TrueNAS SCALE 7.4.5

bonfire62

Dabbler
Hey, a few quick updates. I was able to offline the drive, and format with the commands provided above. 4TB drive takes around 6-8 hours for a full reformat. you can watch the progress if you add --verbose to the sg_format command previously mentioned. Do not ctrl-c it, it will not immediately output a percentage for progress, mine took 5-10 minutes for the first .0x% to come out. After online'ing the drive, it shows faulted, but Daisuke thinks it might be a linux issue identifying the drive as bad. Going to reboot once the other drives that I'm reformatting (not in the pool) are complete. A HUGE thank you to @Daisuke for all the help!!!

Last edited:

bonfire62

Dabbler
zpool shows a random number where the drive should be:

1671335752773.png

, but I managed to find the drive in question with the serial through smartctl, e.g.

Code:
➜  ~ smartctl -i --all /dev/sdab                                                 
smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.15.79+truenas] (local build)       
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org      

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===                                             
Vendor:               HGST                                                       
Product:              H7240AS60SUN4.0T                                           
Revision:             A3A0                                                       
Compliance:           SPC-4                                                      
User Capacity:        4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]                          
Logical block size:   512 bytes                                                  
LU is fully provisioned                                                          
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm                                                   
Form Factor:          3.5 inches                                                 
Logical Unit id:      0x5000cca073425558                                         
Serial number:        001533E5GX8X        PEH5GX8X                               
Device type:          disk                                                       
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)                                                
Local Time is:        Sat Dec 17 19:53:36 2022 PST                               
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.                   
SMART support is:     Enabled                                                    
Temperature Warning:  Enabled                                                    

I'm able to "replace" the disk with /dev/sdab from the dropdown menu in the pool storage area. Says it's currently resilvering!

kamalov

Dabbler
Synopsis
I noticed some users get this warning message, after Bluefin upgrade:
Code:
Disk(s): sda ... are formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF) which is unsupported.

Another case is disks are not being seen by pool, yet the pool reports no errors. You might deal with one or a combination of both issues listed below. Bluefin's newer kernel/ZFS version makes available these feature checks and throws a warning, which explains why you did not see it before. Linux cannot read disks formatted with 520-byte sectors, therefore you need to perform both procedure checks listed below.

Data Integrity Field
DIF extends the disk sector from its traditional 512-byte, to 520-byte, by adding 8 additional protection bytes. You might also find also disk sectors extended to 528-byte by custom firmware. OEM rebranded HDDs or SSDs from major storage vendors are plagued with this "enhancement" not supported by Linux.
If you look in /var/log/messages, you should see warnings similar to:
Code:
# grep --color 'sector size' /var/log/messages
Dec 15 22:13:25 uranus kernel: sd 0:0:9:0: [sda] Unsupported sector size 520.

# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 7.28 TiB, 8001563222016 bytes, 15628053168 sectors
Disk model: X287_S15K5288A15
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Example of branded disk:
Code:
# sg_scan -i /dev/sg0
/dev/sg0: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0
    NETAPP    X287_S15K5288A15  NA00 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

Example of unbranded disk:
Code:
# sg_scan -i /dev/sg0
    ATA       HUH537060BKD702   0003 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

DIF format command:
Code:
# sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sg0

T10 Protection Information
T10-PI is an extension of the existing T10 SCSI Block Commands specification, covering communication between SCSI controllers and storage devices, Protection Information (PI) adds an extra 8 bytes of information to the 512-byte sectors typical of enterprise hard drives.
Example of T10-PI Type 1 protected disk:
Code:
# sg_readcap -l /dev/sg0
Read Capacity results:
   Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=0, p_i_exponent=0 [type 1 protection]

Example of T10-PI Type 2 protected disk:
Code:
# sg_readcap -l /dev/sg0
Read Capacity results:
   Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=1, p_i_exponent=0 [type 2 protection]

Example of non T10-PI protected disk:
Code:
# sg_readcap -l /dev/sg0
Read Capacity results:
   Protection: prot_en=0, p_type=0, p_i_exponent=0

T10-PI format command:
Code:
# sg_format -vFf 0 /dev/sg0

Formatting Process
Check the pool status and related sector size warnings in /var/log/messages:
Code:
# zpool status -v poolname
# grep --color 'sector size' /var/log/messages

If disk is present into pool, match the zpool partuuid with lsblk partuuid, to make sure you investigate/format the correct disk:
Code:
# lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,PATH,FSTYPE /dev/sda
NAME   PARTUUID                             PATH      FSTYPE
sda                                         /dev/sda
├─sda1 866c235e-6799-412b-ba39-00c43098fada /dev/sda1
└─sda2 7aa22586-b4b5-4326-86e5-dd0e14415627 /dev/sda2 zfs_member

Run sg_map to see what device id is associated with the affected disk:
Code:
# sg_map
/dev/sg0  /dev/sda
/dev/sg1  /dev/sdb
/dev/sg2  /dev/sdc

Run the following commands for each affected disk, to check the branded disk and T10-PI Type details:
Code:
# sg_scan -i /dev/sg0
# sg_readcap -l /dev/sg0

Proceed with sg_format, you can run both format procedures with one command:
Code:
# time sg_format -vFf 0 -s 512 /dev/sg0

Detailed command, use time to determine how long it takes to format a disk:
Code:
# time sg_format --verbose --format --fmtpinfo=0 --size=512 /dev/sg0

The disk format takes a long time, use tmux to avoid losing connectivity to server:
Code:
# tmux
# sg_format -vFf 0 -s 512 /dev/sg0

To detach from current session while formatting the disk, press control+b then d.

To attach back to current session, run:
Code:
# tmux attach

Once the format is finished, run:
Code:
# tmux capture-pane -pS -10000 > format.log
# tmux kill-session
# cat format.log

format.log will contain the format command output, useful for further troubleshooting.

I don't know how the ZFS pools react to sg_format, technically you need to take the disk offline, format the disk, then add back the disk into pool. While the formatting is simple to execute, I would like to get input from experienced users what are the correct steps for the offline disk procedure.
I am replying to the other thread and tried to follow your steps here.

When I entered:
Code:
sudo sg_scan -i /dev/sg2
I got the following:
Code:
/dev/sg2: scsi7 channel=0 id=0 lun=0
    ASMT      ASM1156-PM        0    [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0] 

Next I entered
Code:
sudo sg_readcap -l /dev/sg2

and got
Code:
Read Capacity results:
   Logical block provisioning: lbpme=0, lbprz=0
   Last LBA=18446744073709551615 (0xffffffffffffffff), Number of logical blocks=0
   Logical block length=512 bytes
   Logical blocks per physical block exponent=0
   Lowest aligned LBA=0
Hence:
   Device size: 0 bytes, 0.0 MiB, 0.00 GB

The next step was to format by
Code:
time sg_format -vFf 0 -s 512 /dev/sg2 

and got
Code:
error opening device file: /dev/sg2: Permission denied
sg_format -vFf 0 -s 512 /dev/sg2  0.00s user 0.00s system 33% cpu 0.006 total

Not sure how to proceed

Not to derail or go off topic, but reading this thread makes me nervous. How long has this been going on?

When you order a WD drive from Amazon, New Egg, B&H, Best Buy, etc, where is there any indication on the merchant's website that you might be getting a branded disk?

I'm looking at different results for WD Red Plus drives, and I'm not seeing any clear label on the sticker or the product description. We're not even talking SAS drives, just your typical SATA drives that home users purchase for their NAS servers (or heck, their own personal computers.)

Goodness, can this even permeate into white label drives that you shuck from an external enclosure?

How can you know ahead of time if the drive you're purchasing online is a "branded disk"?

This reminds me of the SMR debacle in which Western Digital only cleaned up their act after-the-fact to make their marketing clear to their customers after there was a surge of public negative blowback.

Last edited:

Daisuke

Contributor
Not to derail or go off topic, but reading this thread makes me nervous. How long has this been going on?
This is very common for disks purchased on eBay as refurbished, 520-byte sector or with custom firmware disks have been existent for many years. These disks are mostly present into appliances like EMC or NetApp arrays or special server configurations.

Whoever sells you the disks, knows very well they are branded or 520-byte, just ask. If they don't know and reply that the disks have been pulled from some type of array, the disks will probably be affected. A responsible seller will hook the array to a Linux machine and format all disks in one shot, but most sellers don't bother. Retail disks are never branded or formatted with 520-byte sectors, unless they are swapped and returned by purchaser, then sold again by retail seller.

Last edited:

Daisuke

Contributor
tried to follow your steps here
Are you running these commands on TrueNAS Scale? If yes, ssh into server and become root, post the output of last command:
Code:
$ ssh 192.168.1.2
$ sudo -i
# time sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sg2

From the previous outputs you posted, you have a branded disk with possible custom firmware.

Last edited:

kamalov

Dabbler
Are you running these commands on TrueNAS Scale? If yes, ssh into server and become root, post the output of last command:
Code:
$ ssh 192.168.1.2
$ sudo -i
# time sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sg2

From the previous outputs you posted, you have a branded disk with possible custom firmware.
thx. tried those steps and got the following:

Code:
    ASMT      ASM1156-PM        0      peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
      PROTECT=0
      Unit serial number: 00000000000000000000
      LU name: 5000000000000001
    mode sense(10) cdb: [5a 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 fc 00]
mode sense(10):
Fixed format, current; Sense key: Illegal Request
Additional sense: Invalid field in cdb
bad field in MODE SENSE (10) [mode_page 1 not supported?]
sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sg2  0.00s user 0.00s system 24% cpu 0.010 total

Daisuke

Contributor
tried those steps and got the following
I don't recall seeing this type of error, especially that the serial number was purposely erased. Must be a custom firmware. Try these commands and let me know the output: See this post.
Code:
# smartctl -Hi /dev/sg2
# sg_format -6vFs 512 /dev/sg2

BTW, this is the proper format users post their Linux commands results (command, followed by server response, the # tells me you are executing the command as root, $ means you are a regular user):
Code:
$ sudo -i
# sg_scan -i /dev/sg0
    ATA       HUH728080ALE601   0003 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

Edit: is this a regular disk spinner or SSD, are you connecting it through USB?

Last edited:

kamalov

Dabbler
I don't recall seeing this type of error, especially that the serial number was purposely erased. Must be a custom firmware. Try these commands and let me know the output:
Code:
# smartctl -Hi /dev/sg2
# sg_format -6vFs 512 /dev/sg2

BTW, this is the proper format users post their Linux commands results (command, followed by server response, the # tells me you are executing the command as root, $ means you are a regular user):
Code:
$ sudo -i
# sg_scan -i /dev/sg0
    ATA       HUH728080ALE601   0003 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

Edit: is this a regular disk spinner or SSD, are you connecting it through USB?
got. thank you for all ur patience and help, especially with the proper etiquette here.

the only way i got these to show up outside of the BIOS was using a hard drive dock that is USB connected.

Here are the results
Code:
root@truenas[~]# smartctl -Hi /dev/sg2

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     WDC WD80EFZZ-68BTXN0
Serial Number:    [No Information Found]
Firmware Version: [No Information Found]
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   [No Information Found]
Local Time is:    Sun Aug  7 06:26:41 2022 PDT
SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 82-83 don't show if SMART supported.
SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 85-87 don't show if SMART is enabled.
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Code:
root@truenas[~]# sg_format -6vFs 512 /dev/sg2
    ASMT      ASM1156-PM        0      peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
      PROTECT=0
      Unit serial number: 00000000000000000000
      LU name: 5000000000000001
    mode sense(6) cdb: [1a 00 01 00 fc 00]
mode sense(6):
Additional sense: Invalid field in cdb
bad field in MODE SENSE (6) [mode_page 1 not supported?]

Daisuke

Contributor
the only way i got these to show up outside of the BIOS was using a hard drive dock that is USB connected.
Usually is not a good idea to use an USB connection. Let's try to see if we can write to disk, what's the output of this command:
Code:
# sg_write_buffer -v -I /dev/urandom -l 512 /dev/sg2

Last edited:

kamalov

Dabbler
Usually is not a good idea to use an USB connection. Let's try to see if we can write to disk, what's the output of this command:
Code:
# sg_write_buffer -vI /dev/urandom -l 512 /dev/sg2
I had the drives connected to the motherboard on 2 different machines 1 at a time with windows and linux and couldnt get them to show up other than in bios. So the USB is my last resort here before returning the drives.

Code:
root@truenas[~]# sg_write_buffer -vI /dev/urandom -l 512 /dev/sg2
sending single write buffer, mode=0x0, mpsec=0, id=0, offset=0, len=512
    Write buffer cdb: [3b 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00]
Write buffer:
Additional sense: Invalid command operation code
Write buffer failed: Illegal request, Invalid opcode, type: sense key + asc,ascq

kamalov

Dabbler
@kamalov last command is telling me the disk is using a custom firmware. I would recommend to post in r/homelab and list all command outputs you tried. I'm sure someone will post additional guidelines. Please post the Reddit link here, and if you managed to fix the disk. Where did you purchased your disk?
Thx. B&H Photo

Daisuke

Contributor
B&H Photo
Ask the seller to issue you an RMA or even better a refund. I only purchase HGST Ultrastar Helium refurbished (grade A) CMR hard drives. They have a stunning MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of 2.5M hours and reputable vendors offer a 5 years warranty, even if refurbished. Helium doesn’t affect the AFR (Annualized Failure Rate) of hard drives, versus air-filled drives. Yes, these hard drives are that good, I personally never had any issues with them for many years.

Last edited:

rollee

Cadet
The four drives in my pool all showed up in sg_scan -i as "HITACHI H7230AS60SUN3.0T", which appear to have been from SUN.
Code:
root@nas3[~]# sg_readcap -l /dev/sg7
Read Capacity results:
   Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=0, p_i_exponent=0 [type 1 protection]
   Last LBA=5860533167 (0x15d50a3af), Number of logical blocks=5860533168
   Logical blocks per physical block exponent=0
   Lowest aligned LBA=0
Hence:
   Device size: 3000592982016 bytes, 2861588.5 MiB, 3000.59 GB, 3.00 TB

So they show as type 1 protection. I have these 4 drives in the pool, and a SSD for the boot drive. I'm a little confused how they are functioning.

Daisuke

Contributor
@rollee that's an easy fix. Do an sg_map to make sure you are formatting the right disk, next in Scale UI, take the disk offline. Example for my disk:

1671420978360.png

Once the disk offline, run as root:
Code:
# time sg_format -v -F /dev/sg7

This will take several hours, you should definitely use tmux, as described into OP. If your ssh connection is lost, you will need to start again and who knows what errors you might deal with after.

Once the disk formatted, reboot the server and bring back the disk online. The resilvering will start automatically, should take a while also.

I'm a little confused how they are functioning.
If drives are seen by Linux, they are 512-byte formatted but have additional T10 protection which Linux does not like.

BTW, I updated the guide to use the actual disk name, instead device id, it removes confusion. You can use either, the mapping is automatically done from device id to disk.

Last edited:

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Hey @Daisuke I am having a similar issue was Originally was posting on https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/error-with-drive-in-pool.106085/#post-730377

TrueNAS specs
OS TrueNAS Scale, Bluefin running on two mirrored USB's
Hardware
Dell 720XD, with two E5-2650 V2, 4 x 16GB Samsung PC3-14900R ECC RAM,
12 x 6TB SAS Dell 7.2K in a RaidZ3
2 x 1TB SSD Samsung 870 EVO in a Mirror

When I upgraded to bluefin and upgraded it displayed the error most people seem to be having,
Disk(s): sdb, sdi, sdm, sdl, sdn, sdc, sdd, sde, sdf, sdg, sdj are formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF) which is unsupported.
2022-12-19 16:45:08 (Australia/Adelaide)
but since upgrading one of my SAS drives has stopped registering in TrueNAS, it was working fine before upgrading and I can see the drive as a blank drive duing the installation media GUI, I have tried checking all cables and connectors are working correctly from what I can see, I have also tried the following

Code:
# fdisk -1 /dev/sda
OUTPUT for unresponsive disk
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Input/output error

OUTPUT for anyother mechanical disk
Disk /dev/sdn: 5.46 TiB, 6001175126016 bytes, 11721045168 sectors
Disk model: MG04SCA60EE
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: D9012A69-2086-4F9A-80B7-38EBB47551C5

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sdn1 128 4194304 4194177 2G Linux swap
/dev/sdn2 4194432 11721045134 11716850703 5.5T Solaris /usr & Apple ZFS

Code:
smartctl -l error /dev/sda
OUTPUT
root@truenas[~]# smartctl -l error /dev/sda

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
Error counter log:
Errors Corrected by Total Correction Gigabytes Total
ECC rereads/ errors algorithm processed uncorrected
fast | delayed rewrites corrected invocations [10^9 bytes] errors
read: 0 0 0 0 0 4759263.050 0
write: 0 23 23 23 43 160114.874 0
verify: 0 0 0 0 0 1332293.750 0

Non-medium error count: 7339

Code:
smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
OUTPUT
root@truenas[~]# smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log
Num Test Status segment LifeTime LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
Description number (hours)
# 1 Background short Completed 80 43957 - [- - -]
# 2 Background short Completed 80 43954 - [- - -]
# 3 Background short Completed 80 43952 - [- - -]
# 4 Background short Completed 80 43936 - [- - -]
# 5 Background short Completed 80 43895 - [- - -]
# 6 Background short Completed 80 43866 - [- - -]
# 7 Background short Completed 80 43858 - [- - -]
# 8 Background short Completed 80 43842 - [- - -]
# 9 Background short Completed 80 5 - [- - -]
#10 Reserved(7) Completed 64 5 - [- - -]

Long (extended) Self-test duration: 37873 seconds [631.2 minutes]

When in the storage tab I am able to see the drive that has apparently failed in the pool under unassigned but when I go into the pool and select the failed drive (Label has changed to 3869088571791395513) and attempt to replace it with the unassigned drive i get
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to GPT format the disk "sda": Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Unable to save backup partition table! Perhaps the 'e' option on the experts' menu will resolve this problem. Warning! An error was reported when writing the partition table! This error MIGHT be harmless, or the disk might be damaged! Checking it is advisable.

Not sure if this is useful or not, saw you asked for it when helping the other people :)
Code:
root@truenas[~]# sg_map
/dev/sg0  /dev/sda
/dev/sg1  /dev/sdb
/dev/sg2  /dev/sdc
/dev/sg3  /dev/sdd
/dev/sg4  /dev/sde
/dev/sg5  /dev/sdf
/dev/sg6  /dev/sdg
/dev/sg7  /dev/sdj
/dev/sg8  /dev/sdk
/dev/sg9  /dev/sdh
/dev/sg10  /dev/sdi
/dev/sg11  /dev/sdm
/dev/sg12  /dev/sdl
/dev/sg13  /dev/sdn
/dev/sg14  /dev/sdo
/dev/sg15  /dev/sdp

Code:
root@truenas[~]# lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,PATH,FSTYPE /dev/sda
NAME PARTUUID PATH     FSTYPE
sda           /dev/sda
root@truenas[~]# lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,PATH,FSTYPE /dev/sdi
NAME        PARTUUID                             PATH              FSTYPE
sdi                                              /dev/sdi         
├─sdi1      0aa85feb-087f-468c-9344-12c0568b50e2 /dev/sdi1         linux_raid_member
│ └─md127                                        /dev/md127       
│   └─md127                                      /dev/mapper/md127 swap
└─sdi2      45628875-76b1-4253-a109-0f04fcab27e0 /dev/sdi2         zfs_member

Code:
root@truenas[~]# sg_scan -i /dev/sda                       
/dev/sda: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
    TOSHIBA   MG04SCA60EE       DR07 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

Code:
root@truenas[~]# sg_scan -i /dev/sda                       
/dev/sda: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]
root@truenas[~]# sg_scan -i /dev/sdi
/dev/sdi: scsi0 channel=0 id=10 lun=0 [em]

Code:
root@truenas[~]# sg_readcap -l /dev/sda
Read Capacity results:
   Last LBA=11721045167 (0x2baa0f4af), Number of logical blocks=11721045168
   Logical blocks per physical block exponent=3 [so physical block length=4096 bytes]
   Lowest aligned LBA=0
Hence:
   Device size: 6001175126016 bytes, 5723166.6 MiB, 6001.18 GB, 6.00 TB

Daisuke

Contributor
Hey @Daisuke I am having a similar issue
The troubleshooting steps and formatting process are into OP, you can format the disk accordingly. Since Linux cannot read 520-byte sectors, is save to start by formatting the disk to 512-byte sectors. If you cannot perform this action successfully, it usually means your drive has custom firmware applied or is just defective. You can reach at specialized forums like STH or r/homelab and hope someone with knowledge has the answer.

The goal of this thread is to fix the DIF and T10 issues in Bluefin, not to determine why a disk cannot be replaced into pool. Is best you create your own thread for that.

Last edited: