Resource icon

Troubleshooting disk format warnings in TrueNAS SCALE 7.4.5

bonfire62

Dabbler
Resilvering was successful after hitting "replace" in the pool's disk section, then finding the serial of the "new" drive that was newly added.

bonfire62

Dabbler
Sure, these may have different disk names, but this is the procedure:
Once you see the disk with the different numbers as shown in my previous screenshot, you hit the replace button:
1671482362908.png

on that disk.

Then run a smartctl -i --all on whatever new disk showed up, until you find the drive with the same serial number as the one you wiped. There's probably a better way to list then grep for it. Once that's found, select the disk in the dropdown menu:
1671482483986.png

note: I did not have to force. The resilver happened automatically. I showed errors on the disk, and did a:
zpool clear main_pool
to remove the errors, then a scrub.

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Data Integrity Field
DIF extends the disk sector from its traditional 512-byte, to 520-byte, by adding 8 additional protection bytes. You might also find also disk sectors extended to 528-byte by custom firmware. OEM rebranded HDDs or SSDs from major storage vendors are plagued with this "enhancement". Linux does not support 520-byte sectors, unless the drive is formatted with DIF and installed into a DIF-capable HBA.
Example of branded disk:
Code:
# sg_scan -i /dev/sda
/dev/sda: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0
NETAPP X287_S15K5288A15 NA00 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

Example of unbranded disk:
Code:
# sg_scan -i /dev/sda
/dev/sda: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0
ATA HUH537060BKD702 0003 [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

DIF format command:
Code:
# sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sda

Since Linux cannot normally see disks with 520-byte sectors, is safe to try formatting the disk with 512-byte sectors. See the detailed formatting process, below.
Hey, ok I have followed through the steps up to the DIF Format command,

The drives are running 512-byte sectors as shown by the output below.
Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 5.46 TiB, 6001175126016 bytes, 11721045168 sectors
Disk model: MG04SCA60EE     
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: FDE2DAA6-87D5-4C38-A3BD-CADE5652B16A

Device       Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1      128     4194304     4194177    2G Linux swap
/dev/sdb2  4194432 11721045134 11716850703  5.5T Solaris /usr & Apple ZFS

If I run # sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sda on the SAS drive I am having issues with, this will wipe the drive completely correctly but will leave the other drives intact correct?

Error being shown on the drive when trying to replace in pool
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to GPT format the disk "sda": Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Unable to save backup partition table! Perhaps the 'e' option on the experts' menu will resolve this problem. Warning! An error was reported when writing the partition table! This error MIGHT be harmless, or the disk might be damaged! Checking it is advisable.

Daisuke

Contributor
The drives are running 512-byte sectors as shown by the output below.
That means nothing, Linux will show 512-byte sectors on 520-byte sector formatted disks because it does not understand it.
If I run # sg_format -vFs 512 /dev/sda on the SAS drive I am having issues with, this will wipe the drive completely correctly but will leave the other drives intact correct?
If the command listed below fails, at least you know where is the issue, but I'm pretty sure you will be successful. First, you need to make sure you format the correct hard drive, do you know which one you need to fix?

Running:
Code:
# sg_format -v -F -s 512 /dev/sda

Will properly format that specific disk (it will not touch other disks), which is exactly what you want. Obviously, you need to offline the disk, like explained into OP, prior formatting. Scale will take care of the resilvering for you, after. You just need to make sure you format the right disk. Is it part of raidz2 array? Having a raidz1 array is like playing with fire, you can lose all data if another disk fails during the resilvering of your broken disk.

Last edited:

Mitch2004

Dabbler
do you know which one you need to fix?
According to TrueNAS it is Disk sda, as this is the only disk I am not able to use and is not apart of the array.
it part of raidz2 array?
currently running a Raid Z3 with one drive reporting as failed (the drive in question.

Is there a better way of determiningwhat drive I need to format or go be the drive that is not in the pool?

Daisuke

Contributor
currently running a Raid Z3 with one drive reporting as failed (the drive in question.
Great stuff, you care about your data. The easiest way to see all relations between your pool disks and actual system disks is by running:
Code:
# zpool status
# lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,PATH,FSTYPE

This will give you the list of pool disk partuuid's, which you can crosscheck with list of disk partuuid's seen by Linux. If the disk is not part of the pool, it will only show into lsblk command output. This way, you'll know for sure the correct /dev/sdX name.

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Obviously, you need to offline the disk, like explained into OP, prior formatting
How do I offline the disk?

When I go into the pool all I see for that disk is Details for3869088571791395513, disk is unavaliable, Then it only gives me to option to replace with no option to offline the drive.

Am I also going to need to run this for every disk? E.G format 1, let it resliver and repeat for all 12 drives?

Daisuke

Contributor
When I go into the pool all I see for that disk is Details for3869088571791395513, disk is unavaliable, Then it only gives me to option to replace with no option to offline the drive.
Looks like you already ran the formatting command and your disk is okay now, see the instructions posted by @bonfire62. Ping him here in the thread, if you have any questions related to his procedure.
Am I also going to need to run this for every disk?
Definitely not, I mentioned in an earlier post that you only format the affected disks. If Bluefin does not reports errors, you are good.

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Looks like you already ran the formatting command and your disk is okay now, see the instructions posted by @bonfire62. Ping him here in the thread, if you have any questions related to his procedure.

Definitely not, I mentioned in an earlier post that you only format the affected disks. If Bluefin does not reports errors, you are good.
Cool, thanks for the help,
I will give it a shoot and see how it goes

mattyv316

Dabbler
Hi @Daisuke. I have read through this thread as I am getting the same DIF unsupported error. My scenario is a little different. My 2 drives throwing this error are 2 mirrored boot drives with multiple partitions and I am wondering if there is anything I need to do different.
I am not seeing how to take a disk offline for the boot-pool. Here are the results of the commands from the first post.
Message: Disk(s): sdc, sdb are formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF) which is unsupported.

# sg_scan -i /dev/sdb
Code:
/dev/sdb: scsi0 channel=0 id=12 lun=0 [em]
    HGST      HSCAC2DA4SUN400G  A29A [rmb=0 cmdq=1 pqual=0 pdev=0x0]

# sg_readcap -l /dev/sdb
Code:
Read Capacity results:
   Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=0, p_i_exponent=0 [type 1 protection]
   Logical block provisioning: lbpme=1, lbprz=1
   Last LBA=781422767 (0x2e9390af), Number of logical blocks=781422768
   Logical block length=512 bytes
   Logical blocks per physical block exponent=3 [so physical block length=4096 bytes]
   Lowest aligned LBA=0
Hence:
   Device size: 400088457216 bytes, 381554.1 MiB, 400.09 GB

# zpool status -v boot-pool
Code:
pool: boot-pool
 state: ONLINE
status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.
        The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
        the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
        the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:40 with 0 errors on Wed Dec 14 03:45:42 2022
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb3    ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdc3    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

No results from #grep --color 'sector size' /var/log/messages

# lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,PATH,FSTYPE /dev/sdb
Code:
NAME   PARTUUID                             PATH      FSTYPE
sdb                                         /dev/sdb
├─sdb1 88647042-9740-46e7-b48e-ea65e4d4b372 /dev/sdb1
├─sdb2 61de13cc-8960-4a38-8622-d674fe442d99 /dev/sdb2 vfat
├─sdb3 ca179f5a-2cf6-47b1-a880-809f69def2a6 /dev/sdb3 zfs_member
└─sdb4 9f04c168-0750-9948-94f5-48f9feaa7119 /dev/sdb4 zfs_member

# sg_map
Code:
/dev/sg0
/dev/sg1
/dev/sg2  /dev/sdai
/dev/sg3  /dev/sds
/dev/sg4  /dev/sdak
/dev/sg5  /dev/sdr
/dev/sg6  /dev/sdv
/dev/sg7  /dev/sdab
/dev/sg8  /dev/sdad
/dev/sg9  /dev/sdy
/dev/sg10  /dev/sdw
/dev/sg11  /dev/sdaa
/dev/sg12  /dev/sdac
/dev/sg13  /dev/sdaj
/dev/sg14  /dev/sdb    *
/dev/sg15  /dev/sdc    *
/dev/sg16
/dev/sg17  /dev/sdah
/dev/sg18  /dev/sdx
/dev/sg19  /dev/sdh
/dev/sg20  /dev/sdz
/dev/sg21  /dev/sdal
/dev/sg22  /dev/sdk
/dev/sg23  /dev/sdu
/dev/sg24  /dev/sdae
/dev/sg25  /dev/sdag
/dev/sg26  /dev/sdaf
/dev/sg27  /dev/sda
/dev/sg28  /dev/sdd
/dev/sg29  /dev/sde
/dev/sg30  /dev/sdj
/dev/sg31  /dev/sdf
/dev/sg32  /dev/sdp
/dev/sg33  /dev/sdo
/dev/sg34  /dev/sdq
/dev/sg35  /dev/sdl
/dev/sg36  /dev/sdi
/dev/sg37  /dev/sdg
/dev/sg38  /dev/sdm
/dev/sg39  /dev/sdt
/dev/sg40  /dev/sdn
/dev/sg41

Any guidance you can provide is really appreciated. I don't want to start formatting boot-pool drives without being completely sure of what to do.
Thanks

Daisuke

Contributor
Easy fix @mattyv316. First, take the disk offline in your pool:

1671504663953.png

Then run the formatting procedure for the affected /dev/sdb disk. I strongly recommend you to use tmux, as detailed into OP. If you lose ssh connectivity, the interrupted format process might affect your disk, it takes several hours to format the disk. Unless you run the command directly from Scale console, which is the safest way.
Code:
# time sg_format -v -F /dev/sdb

Let us know how it went and please post UI screenshots, before and after.

For other people, I know this looks a little scary but you can confidently run the sg_format command as listed into Formatting Procedure section, after you did your troubleshooting. If the disk is not repairable, the format command will tell you where is the issue. Also, only the commands listed into Formatting Procedure section are relevant.

Last edited:

mattyv316

Dabbler

View attachment 61244

Then run the formatting procedure for the affected /dev/sdb disk. I strongly recommend you to use tmux, as detailed into OP. If you lose ssh connectivity, the interrupted format process might affect your disk, it takes several hours to format the disk. Unless you run the command directly from Scale console, which is the safest way.
Code:
# time sg_format -vFf 0 -s 512 /dev/sdb

For other people, I know this looks a little scary buy you can confidently run the sg_format command as listed into Formatting Procedure section, after you did your troubleshooting. If the disk is not repairable, the format command will tell you where is the issue.
Thank you for the quick reply. I will give this a shot tomorrow.

mattyv316

Dabbler

View attachment 61244

Code:

For other people, I know this looks a little scary but you can confidently run the sg_format command as listed into Formatting Procedure section, after you did your troubleshooting. If the disk is not repairable, the format command will tell you where is the issue. Also, only the commands listed into Formatting Procedure section are relevant.

I attempted to format the one /dev/sdb drive, so I marked it offline, then ran sg_format, but not sure it did anything. It says it only took 1 minute and 15 seconds. It wasn't running long at all

Code:
    HGST      HSCAC2DA4SUN400G  A29A   peripheral_type: disk [0x0]
      PROTECT=1
      << supports protection information>>
      Unit serial number: 001517JQWN8A        0QVBWN8A
      LU name: 5000cca04e159f90
    mode sense(10) cdb: [5a 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 fc 00]
Mode Sense (block descriptor) data, prior to changes:
  Number of blocks=781422768 [0x2e9390b0]
  Block size=512 [0x200]

A FORMAT UNIT will commence in 15 seconds
    ALL data on /dev/sdb will be DESTROYED
        Press control-C to abort

A FORMAT UNIT will commence in 10 seconds
        Press control-C to abort

A FORMAT UNIT will commence in 5 seconds
        Press control-C to abort
    Format unit cdb: [04 18 00 00 00 00]

Format unit has started
FORMAT UNIT Complete
sg_format -vFf 0 -s 512 /dev/sdb  0.00s user 0.00s system 0% cpu 1:15.00 total

zpool status now looks like this
Code:
# zpool status -v boot-pool
  pool: boot-pool
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Replace the faulted device, or use 'zpool clear' to mark the device
        repaired.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:40 with 0 errors on Wed Dec 14 03:45:42 2022
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        boot-pool   DEGRADED     0     0     0
          mirror-0  DEGRADED     0     0     0
            sdb3    FAULTED      3   262     0  too many errors
            sdc3    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Daisuke

Contributor
I attempted to format the one /dev/sdb drive
Did you checked the sg_readcap after format? Is the only way to see if the disk is fixed. These steps are detailed into OP, there is no need to wait for instructions how to check your disk. :smile:

If the disk is not fine, please post the command output here. Maybe sg_format does not like to run both actions together. If that’s the case, I’ll update the guide.

If the disk is fine, reboot the server, then check the pool if is resilvering with zpool status. From there treat the issue as a degraded pool, you can start your own thread for that. The goal is to limit this thread to disk formatting issues only.

Last edited:

mattyv316

Dabbler
Did you checked the sg_readcap after format? Is the only way to see if the disk is fixed. These steps are detailed into OP, there is no need to wait for instructions how to check your disk. :smile:

If the disk is not fine, please post the command output here. Maybe sg_format does not like to run both actions together. If that’s the case, I’ll update the guide.

If the disk is fine, reboot the server, then check the pool if is resilvering with zpool status. From there treat the issue as a degraded pool, you can start your own thread for that. The goal is to limit this thread to disk formatting issues only.
I apologize for forgetting that step. sg_readcap showed no protection or problems. I was able replace the drive in my pool, and I thank you for all the help and patience.
It does look like I will need to start another thread as replacing the disk only worked for one of the partitions. The mirrored pair should contain my boot drive (boot-drive) and an additional storage partition (ssd-storage). I offlined, reformatted, and replaced the drive as part of the ssd-storage pool since the UI doesn't seem to have an offline option for the boot pool status screen (only gave replace option.
Now, my ssd-storage pool is fixed, but boot-pool is still degraded and no option for drives when I select replace. Not sure how to do this with a partitioned boot pool.

Daisuke

Contributor
I apologize for forgetting that step.
No worries, glad everything is fixed!
Now, my ssd-storage pool is fixed, but boot-pool is still degraded and no option for drives when I select replace. Not sure how to do this with a partitioned boot pool.
I suggest starting your own thread for this issue. Ping me in that thread and I will help there.

Mitch2004

Dabbler
Hey @Daisuke and @bonfire62

Followed the guide and your advice Daisuke, so far so good.
The drive has been resilvered and no more errors have poped up related to DIF,

Currently running a scrub task.

rollee

Cadet
Since all 4 of the drives in my pool are affected, would there be any problem resilvering from them after formatting each one? Wondering if it would it be better to just backup all the data, format all the drives, and start over with the pool. I suspect I may possibly have 2 or 3 other pools with drives that have the same issue, but running on TrueNAS core so haven't seen the error yet.

Daisuke

Contributor
Wondering if it would it be better to just backup all the data, format all the drives, and start over with the pool.
If you want, you can destroy the pool and format all disks in one shot, with tmux. Is all about how long it takes to format a disk. It can be between few minutes of few hours. Honestly, I would start with one disk and see how long it takes. Is a pain to backup, destroy pool, redo the pool etc. Plus during this time your Scale server is not usable.