Trouble making simple share?

ITGuy1024

Explorer
FreeNAS-11.3-U4

I'm trying to do something pretty simple. All I need is a SMB share that I can browse to from a Windows PC without being asked for a username / password.

I did this before pretty simply with FreeNAS-11.2-U7 but I believe the introduction of the ACLs is making it harder.

Is there a simple way I can accomplish this?

I have my pool set up (PoolA) and the dataset (DataA), SMB share (DataA). I've fiddled around with the ACL / no ACL / permissions for a while now.

When I try to browse to the location (\\172.30.1.107\DataA) I receive "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

TIA

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
There are two ways of doing this that I know of.

- Authentication is not required, "guest access". Disabled by default in Win10, and I know nothing about it.
- Authentication is required, but transparent: "Microsoft Account" in FreeNAS. This I know how to do, and have recorded here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xsgsap0wgQ

ITGuy1024

Explorer
So guest access doesn't work in the newer version of FreeNAS? I'm using guest access / allow only guest access on my other FreeNAS server with Windows 10. That stinks.

Is that true for mapping with MacOS also?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
FreeNAS-11.3-U4

I'm trying to do something pretty simple. All I need is a SMB share that I can browse to from a Windows PC without being asked for a username / password.

I did this before pretty simply with FreeNAS-11.2-U7 but I believe the introduction of the ACLs is making it harder.

Is there a simple way I can accomplish this?

I have my pool set up (PoolA) and the dataset (DataA), SMB share (DataA). I've fiddled around with the ACL / no ACL / permissions for a while now.

When I try to browse to the location (\\172.30.1.107\DataA) I receive "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

TIA
There's a bug in ACLs in U4. Update to U4.1.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
There's a bug in ACLs in U4. Update to U4.1.

Didn't even check for updates, I pulled the download off the website this morning. I'll give that a go then!