TRIM support, and any other issues to look out for in an all SSD pool?

krisen

Cadet
I'm planning to build an all SSD pool for various storage (vm's, database, static files etc...), and I often run in to the TRIM-thing and garbage collection painted as a big issue with SSD's. I'm not sure if this information is obsolete or not. The FreeNAS documentation does not help me that much either unfortunately.

My question is this: Is TRIM and garbage collection something that I need to consider when creating a pool with all SSD's in FreeNAS 11.2, or is this taken care of by default?

My setup will be:
FreeNAS 11.2
LSI 9207-8i
8 x 1.92TB Intel S4510 or S4610 (have not decided yet) in raidz2

Thanks

krisen

Cadet
Trim works but using an LSI HBA requires the SSD to support RZAT (deterministic read zeros after trim), not sure if the ones you listed support it or not.

S4610 does (I have one and could check with hdparm -I), and I found some info about A M.2 version of S4510 and that does also. I suppose I can be 99.9% sure that SATA S4510 does also.

Is the 9207-8i a good choice, or do you have a better suggestion?

The server has an Broadcom 3108 SAS controller, but from what I've read that can't be flashed in IT mode, and JBOD does not seem to give full SMART data either. I don't think that card is of any good with ZFS for this reason.

Is the 9207-8i a good choice, or do you have a better suggestion?

Yes, that or the 9300-8i if found for a good price.

and JBOD does not seem to give full SMART data either. I don't think that card is of any good with ZFS for this reason.

Yes, Raid is not good for ZFS, and besides SMART trim also won't work with LSI unless in IT mode.