Transmission has stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. Today I noticed that transmission had stopped working. When I try to turn it on it tries for maybe two seconds, then the switch goes back to the "off" position. When this happens I do not see any messages at the top of the web GUI like you'd expect (some error occurred etc), nothing happens.

I have already tried resetting the permissions on the Jail volume/dataset (recursively) and rebooted but to no avail. I have also tried force starting the plugin with...

Code:
cd /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/
./transmission forcestart

Doing that spits back...

Code:
Starting transmission.                                                       
su: pam_start: system error 

If I look in /*jail name*/var/log/messages I see this...

Code:
Mar 20 19:58:52 Transmission su: in openpam_check_desc_owner_perms(): /etc/pam.d/su: insecure ownership or permissions
Mar 20 19:58:52 Transmission su: pam_start: system error
Mar 20 19:58:52 Transmission root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission

Hopefully that log means something to you guys, if it does I'd appreciate a solution. It would be awesome if you could also explain maybe why that's happened too so I know for the future. Any help at all is appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you borked the ownership of parts of the jail. don't ever change the ownership or permissions of the jail's operating system parts. only change ownership and permissions of datasets you store you files on that are mounted in the jail.

Chris230291

Patron
you borked the ownership of parts of the jail. don't ever change the ownership or permissions of the jail's operating system parts. only change ownership and permissions of datasets you store you files on that are mounted in the jail.

Arh OK, that makes sense as I have been playing around trying to upload a template I made. So how come resetting the permissions didn't fix it? Have I broken it beyond repair?

Thanks,
Chris.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Arh OK, that makes sense as I have been trying to upload a template. So how come resetting the permissions didn't fix it? Have I broken it beyond repair?

Thanks,
Chris.
What do you mean by resetting the permissions? The parts of any operating system (even a jail) are very complex and alot of files need to owned and by certain users/groups and at a certain permission level. I suggest you just backup whatever you need to (config settings) and reinstall a new version of Transmission. That's the beauty of keeping your actual data separate from the applications (in a mounted dataset), you can just reinstall plugin if you bork anything.

Chris230291

Patron
What do you mean by resetting the permissions? The parts of any operating system (even a jail) are very complex and alot of files need to owned and by certain users/groups and at a certain permission level. I suggest you just backup whatever you need to (config settings) and reinstall a new version of Transmission. That's the beauty of keeping your actual data separate from the applications (in a mounted dataset), you can just reinstall plugin if you bork anything.

By resetting I mean I changed the permissions on the Transmission dataset and set reclusively.
OK I will just start over It's not a problem. I was just curious if I could fix it because I thought I might have learned something.

Thanks,
Chris.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
By resetting I mean I changed the permissions on the Transmission dataset and set reclusively.
OK I will just start over It's not a problem. I was just curious if I could fix it because I thought I might have learned something.

Thanks,
Chris.
By transmission dataset you mean the jail's dataset? Don't touch that.
Instead use the 'Add Storage' option to enable access to another dataset you have that only contains your data.

Chris230291

Patron
By transmission dataset you mean the jail's dataset? Don't touch that.
Instead use the 'Add Storage' option to enable access to another dataset you have that only contains your data.

Yes that's what I did. Woops...
I already had the storage set up to link my data storage (/mnt/Raid-Set/Downloads) to the jail (/mnt/Jails/Transmission/usr/Downloads).
It's OK though, I'll start fresh. I just wanted to know if it was possible to fix it if it happened again for whatever reason.

Cheers,
Chris.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes that's what I did. Woops...
I already had the storage set up to link my data storage (/mnt/Raid-Set/Downloads) to the jail (/mnt/Jails/Transmission/usr/Downloads).
It's OK though, I'll start fresh. I just wanted to know if it was possible to fix it if it happened again for whatever reason.

Cheers,
Chris.
a snapshot may be your friend here. you can restore your jail to the snapshot or at least grab needed confif files from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.