Transmission download directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

hracher

Cadet
Hi guys,
I know there are plenty of threads about this subject but I'm desperate. Firstly, sorry about my English - I'm not a native speaker. :)

I have a problem with setting up a download directory for Transmission plugin. In WebUI is not option for that but I've managed to modify settings.json.
Main problem is that I want to download my torrents to another volume on another hard drive. Whatever I set up in the jail setting, settings.json or in Transmission Web Interface it can download only into a jail. I tried every possible combination and it worked once - but after reboot it's not working again.
I have installed FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1 and Transmission plugin 2.92.

I have three hard drives with datasets(I'm including a screenshot):
/mnt/Data/Torrenty - that's where I want to download my torrents
/mnt/Backup/
/mnt/Ruzne/jails - that's where is installed Transmission

In the picture is also setting of the Transmission's jail. I really don't get the point of Source/Destination optins. Do I have them setted up right?
I've installed FreeNAS three times but this is the first time when that dataset ".warden-template-pluginjail" appeared. It was created with the transmission dataset. Can I ask you what is it?

Maybe it's only problem of writing of the path to the different dataset? I tried to write /mnt/Data/Torrenty into the Transmission Web Interface when adding torrents and into settings.json but it only creates that path into the jail's dataset. As I said, it worked once when I typed /mnt/Data/Torrenty into the Tr. Web Interface when adding torrents. After reboot it doesn't work.

I really hope that you understand me. :D Thanks for any replies. :)

Attachments

• NAS.PNG
    NAS.PNG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,151
This is fairly simple. You need to mount the volume /mnt/Data/torrenty to the transmission jail. In the freenas GUI, go to jails, then storage. Select add storage. Then in the popup select the transmission jail. Under source browse to (or type) /mnt/Data/torrenty. Under destination select a mount point, this is usually /mnt or /media. Keep the option for "create directory" selected. Then select ok. This is basically it. Now your torrenty dataset will for all purposes be located in either /mnt or /media depending on which you selected. To be noted, it is not physically in this location, it is still in /mnt/Data/torrenty, but it will appear to your transmission jail that this is where it is (link). Now in your settings.json (stop transmission first), type in either /mnt/torrenty or /media/torrenty ( If there are other folders within torrenty, like download, incomplete, complete, etc... you can also append this directory like so.. /media/torrenty/incomplete), now transmission downloads to this folder. That is it.

Edit: I reviewed the photo, and to me it appears you should have this set correctly.

Also, it is important that that transmission has appropriate permissions to write to this dataset. I think the easiest way is for the torrenty dataset to be owned by the user media and the group media. The warden files are created when you install jails, these are normal files, they can be ignored.

hracher

Cadet
Thanks for quick reply!

I've edited settings.json to download to /media/Torrenty and it's working now! :) I'm really thankful to you.
I thought it will be some kind of easy mistake but now I really know how Transmission works. There is not detailed manual for getting it to work...

But I have one more question. I'm using root user for everything (datasets permissions, I modified Transmission to run as root, accessing SMB shares, etc.). Is that wrong? Or should I use different users for everything?

I personally would not allow any non system software to run as root. Especially any web facing software. Consider changing all ownership from root (root can always access) and plugins to run as a non root user. Media is the most common and is auto created in jails for you when they are created.

hracher

Cadet
OK, thank you for informations. I've changed all ownership and plugins user to a new one. Everything works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.