Transmission can't write to disk (sorry but I can't get it to work)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Sorry for such a general/basic question but I think I have done my absolute best in being able to solve all sorts of problems on my own up to this point. When it comes to Linux permissions I'm still quite a bit in the dark. To clarify I *have* read through this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

And I have tried some of those options but I still can't seem to get anything to work. I'm not sure how to find the UID/GID though. So I tried the other options like Solution 4, but the shell tells me 'permission denied' when I try and check the box marked 'Write' for 'Other'.

Basically I have Transmission set up. I have the storage set up properly, I can add files to the directory in the share, and then seed them back no problems. I just can't write to the storage location VIA/from Transmission. So I can't download anything. i.e. I don't have write permissions or something.

My volume setup is like this:

1PaQVjq.png

Here's the folder permissions from inside the jail /media/Downloads:

Code:
root@transmission_1:/ # ls -l /media/										   
total 25																		
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 1001  1002  5 Sep  4 13:29 Downloads

I want Transmission to be able to write to the /data/shared/Transmission folder (it's not in the above picture). That's the folder it can read from but not write.

What's the simplest and secure way I can get this done without causing issues because my server is exposed to the web.

Thanks, and sorry if this boils someone's blood or something.

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
Type # id transmission inside the Transmission jail to find out your transmission uid/gid. You can then recreate the username/groupname 'transmission'+matching uid/gid numbers on the FreeNAS side. After that, change permissions of the shared dataset to your newly created username/groupname 'transmission'. Personally, I'd suggest creating a dataset on FreeNAS just for torrents.

There will certainly be other ways of accomplishing the same thing including changing dataset permissions to something more permissive (potentially dangerous), or create a new group on FreeNAS called 'shared', change your torrent/download dataset group ownership permission to 'shared', and add the user transmission to auxiliary group 'shared' (again, on the FreeNAS side) to gain group write permission.

One last thing: In what way do you mean your server is exposed to the web?

Thanks so much for the answer.

Here's the result:

Code:
uid=921(transmission) gid=921(transmission) groups=921(transmission)

I then went to Groups in FreeNAS and made a new group:
Code:
Group ID: 921
Name: transmission

Then I made a new Data Set:
Code:
Name: transmission
Settings: <default, left everything alone>
Permissions: Owner: Nobody / Group Owner: transmission

Then I made new storage for transmission_1 jail:
Code:
Source: data/shared/torrents
Destination: /media/Downloads (in jail)

Thank you so much, Transmission can now write to the directory!

However, now it seems I can't copy anything to the share manually via the Network file manager on my PC.
I get 'Permission denied' What permission am I missing now so I can still copy files to the directory normally?

EDIT: I solved it. I just set the owner 'user' to the user I allowed to access the host data set (/shared). Now I have both write permissions in Transmission and write permissions in file explorer. Thank you so much! You explained so easily what ended up as a total fragmented mess from reading 2 dozen different sources.

scrappy

Patron
Ole hyvä ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.