Transmission 2.9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester-NL

Cadet
Hi all,

Recently µTorrent managed to surface in the news with a bit of a leak. It turns out that Transmission had (has) the same issue, and released version 2.9.3 recently.
I am currently running FreeNAS 9.2.0 on an old box somewhere, with Transmission as my torrent-client. Try as I might, I have been unable to find how to upgrade my Transmission.

I managed to install and configure my FreeNAS-box, thanks to reading twice and doing once (and then redo the whole thing without the errors made in the first pass). I am definitely not great in the use of BSD. That said: I am not afraid to try, as long as the steps are clear(-ish). Is there a manual or how-to somewhere that will explain the steps to upgrade my Transmission?

D

dlavigne

I doubt you can for a release that old (as in there won't be any packages to upgrade to). FreeBSD EoL'd that release over 4 years ago.

Jester-NL

Cadet
Not exactly what I wanted to hear... but an answer none the less ;)
So... my version of FreeNAS is ancient. Given that I am stuck with this:
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 3936MB
(and only 4 GB on my USB-stick), what version of FreeNAS would run and allow for (at least) Transmission and Plexserver?

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
Not exactly what I wanted to hear... but an answer none the less ;)
So... my version of FreeNAS is ancient. Given that I am stuck with this:

(and only 4 GB on my USB-stick), what version of FreeNAS would run and allow for (at least) Transmission and Plexserver?
FYI, I am running 11.1-U2 on a Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz with 8gB ram, recording my security camera. It's fine.
If you did not want to go the latest release then 9.10 is probably a good bet. I have 3 boot environments on an 8gB stick and they use 1.5gB

nojohnny101

Wizard
I agree while you are not running the minimum recommended hardware and your system is likely unstable, upgrading to a newer version of FN is not going to change that. I have found upgrading to newer versions does not generally change performance.

Jester-NL

Cadet
The question is not preformance-wise as in: will my old (but stable, thank you) box run any better, if I upgrade to a newer version of FreeNAS.
The question is that I ran into issues with my Transmission, which is old, and (according to the first answer) will probably miss out on upgrades. I am trying to find out if upgrading to a newer version of FreeNAS will solve that problem, without laying a bunch of new issues on my lap.

In all honesty: all the box will have to do is download a bit, and serve the files to Plex. Okay... and be a wee bit of a fileserver. To one person... locally ;)

[edit] I managed to find another old box... problem with both is the max of 4 GB of RAM. I figure that FreeNAS 11 is therefore not an option. I installed 9.10 (and then some) on that box. I noticed that the current version of Transmission is 2.9.2 (just as on my other box). While I understand that 9.2 is too old for updates, is there any change that the 9.10 will receive one?

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
I think you will have to manually upgrade Transmission to 2.9.3.
If you succeed let us know :)

Jester-NL

Cadet
I think you will have to manually upgrade Transmission to 2.9.3.
If you succeed let us know :)
Hahaha :)
That takes me back to square one... I am looking for a manual or a how-to in order to upgrade my transmission

/me thinks he is going to have a look how FreeNAS 11 works on a box with half the required amount of RAM...

Alecmascot

Guru
Hahaha :)
That takes me back to square one... I am looking for a manual or a how-to in order to upgrade my transmission
On my backup server running 11.1-U2 I installed the transmission plugin 2.92.
Then, in the transmission jail, I ran "pkg install transmission-daemon" which installed 2.93.
It preserved the plugin settings and seems to work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.