Transmission VPN general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Hello all!

I have a quick question. I have the transmission GUI installed on most of my PC's on my network, and the transmission server,of course, on my FreeNAS via a plugin. It works perfectly. I recently added one PC that runs a VPN. I am able to use transmission on that PC as well. But, how can I have data downloaded via my VPN, yet ran through transmission?

Last edited:

jadz

Dabbler
Having a VPN connection setup on your computers running the GUI is separate from having a VPN on your FreeNAS computer.

If you want your Transmission server downloads to go through a VPN you will need to configure the jail with a VPN client. For an example guide on doing this see https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-up-transmission-with-openvpn-and-pia.24566/

There are some other considerations, for example you may want to configure a script that shuts down Transmission downlods if your VPN connection is lost.

That may not match your desired state - you may need to look for another guide or figure out a working configuration for your VPN provider.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Great. I did see several threads about going through the jail with a script. But, I didn't want to go that route. I didn't want the VPN connected directly to my FreeNAS. So, I currently have a different workstation running a bit torrent through the VPN that saves the downloads to the FreeNAS zpool. This seems safer to me, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Regardless, thanks for the help gents!

jadz

Dabbler
That is certainly the easier route. Glad you got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.