SOLVED Transferring Files to New Dataset Doesn't Free Used Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayden67

Dabbler
My intention is to reorganize my zpool which is currently 1 huge dataset, into multiple datasets. To accomplish this I added a new dataset to the zpool and transferred approximately 2TB of video files. I expected the available space for the zpool to be unchanged, but that the used space for datasets to go up/down. However, the available space decreased by 2TB because removing the files from original dataset didn't have any affect on it's size. Now I'm almost out of space on both datasets. None of datasets I created have quota or reservation set if that helps.

Following the advice in this thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/help-deleting-files-doesnt-free-up-disk-space.41591/

The files and folders were transferred between the datasets by creating Windows CIFS shares and mapping them to network drives. I used the move option in the right click drag menu, so the recycle bin shouldn't be an issue. I did check the recycle bins, and the files were not there. The export Recycle Bin option was not checked, but I did have a (mostly) empty hidden file called “.Trash-1000”.

I checked my snapshots, but they are only taking up 16.4GB in the Replication folder of that zpool. Viewing the ZFS Snapshots screen, I see that the majority of snapshots are less than a few MBs in the Used column, but some values in the Refer column are several TBs. I deleted a few of the larger snapshots but the used/available space remained unchanged.

Rebooting the FreeNAS server didn't have any effect either.

Please let me know what commands I need to run or additional information I can provide.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The way ZFS reports the space used by snapshots is confusing, and I don't understand it well myself. But if you still have snapshots from before you moved the data, that's your problem. Either wait for them to expire or delete them manually.

Jayden67

Dabbler
Deleting the snapshots from before the data migration freed up the available space. I was originally deleting the newest snapshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.