transfer speed drops lots after a while

kali

Cadet
hey freeNAS community,

i'm pretty new to all this and started this journey to learn, so please guide me to the correct pages to learn or help me,

what i have:
motherboard: msi X79A-GD45 PLUS
cpu: I7-3820 @ 3.60 GHz
ram: 24 GB
GPU: amd HD 7950
HDD: seagate momentus 5400.6 500GB (laptop drive)(connected via motherboard SATA port, don't know if that matters)

this is a build i made to learn from spare hardware. im running ESXI (6.7.0) on a USB and on it is freeNAS (11.2-U5).

when i transfer files (~7 GB of movies) to the nas over the network i start of with ~110MB/s, which is normal for my network, but after some time i see a sudden and drastic drop in speed. it goes to about 5 MB/s.
this only happens when i transfer files to the nas and doesnt happen when i transfer (the same) files from the nas to my desktop (over ethernet).

in esxi i can see that whenever there is a sudden slowdown in speed the maximum latency spikes a lot.

hope to get this fixed somehow, if i can ill probably buy more drives (probably used) and make some redundant storage.

melloa

Wizard
I'd rethink your user case. All that you've listed above won't give you a good performance, running the configuration you want to have. I run all-in-one servers, like what you are trying to do. Look at the specs on my signature to have an idea.

kali

Cadet
I'd rethink your user case. All that you've listed above won't give you a good performance, running the configuration you want to have. I run all-in-one servers, like what you are trying to do. Look at the specs on my signature to have an idea.
why wont these give me good performance though? they seems to be decent hardware on their own, even in this setup i think.

melloa

Wizard
why won't these give me good performance though? they seems to be decent hardware on their own, even in this setup i think.

Not mentioning the desktop hardware used, as per your post, you are using only one hard drive, so all is running on it: ESXi, FreeNAS VM, FreeNAS ZFS Pool, etc.

To do what you want, you need a server that can have, at least: One boot disk for ESXi, (optional) one disk for datastore, one HBA controller to pass through to the FreeNAS VM, harddrives connected to that HBA for your ZFS pool. That's the recipe to get a all-in-one server that will have a good performance. In your case, you are chocking your hard drive and the transfer performance is probably caused by that.

Get more drives, connect to your SATA ports, and run only FreeNAS on your desktop. That is not what the folks here recommend, but should work better for you.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
when i transfer files (~7 GB of movies) to the nas over the network i start of with ~110MB/s, which is normal for my network, but after some time i see a sudden and drastic drop in speed. it goes to about 5 MB/s.
Laptop drive can't keep up. Need better / more drives.