total noob, unable to delete or modify files from imported disk

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
total noob here. i was transferring movies and games from htpc to nas and was taking ages over network so i put them on a 500gb usb ssd, i then used the import disk option to put the data from the external drive into my main pool on the nas and copied the files from the new folders from the external drive that showed up to the folders i had already made for the files on my pc through smb. now i cant delete the folders from the external drive as it says i dont have permision and only root can do it but i cant log into the nas as root from my pc. any help would be much appreciated, this has been driving me crazy for days.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The "import" feature is intended to transfer files, so the disk is mounted read-only. You are supposed to remove the disk once you finished copying. Storage is only supported on ZFS.

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
The "import" feature is intended to transfer files, so the disk is mounted read-only. You are supposed to remove the disk once you finished copying. Storage is only supported on ZFS.
I did remove the external drive, when not plugged into the NAS the folders from it are still there and still can't be modified, is there an "unimport" or "unmount" button because I couldn't find one. the external drive was ntfs as well. Is there any way at all to just delete the folders out of my pool? Like with the shell or something, I saw a post talking about something similar but it didn't work, I think because the target folders have a space in their names and I don't think that plays well with shell.

NugentS

MVP
Just format the drive - or if its being difficult diskpart/clean

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
Just format the drive - or if its being difficult diskpart/clean
it took like 14hours just to transfer 100gb of movies from the htpc to the nas the normal way over smb so im not keen on transferring 400gb of game files the same way, unless i can get my transfer speed up, i dont know why its so slow but i cant find a way to fix it. i wouldn't think twice about disk import if i had decent network transfer

NugentS

MVP
OK, someone is getting confused here.
Which drive are you talking about - where you can't delete stuff from?
If its the external - just wipe it
If its the ZFS pool, inside TrueNAS - then you have just copied the data over, why are you trying to delete it?

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
OK, someone is getting confused here.
Which drive are you talking about - where you can't delete stuff from?
If its the external - just wipe it
If its the ZFS pool, inside TrueNAS - then you have just copied the data over, why are you trying to delete it?
i transferred the data from the external drive to my zfs pool but i read online that the files that showed up from the external drive are read only, so i copied the files to a new folder so i could do what i wanted with them. now the read only files are stuck in my zfs pool even when i disconnect the external drive and i cant delete them because it says i dont have permission. ive tried to log in from my pc as root but it wont let me, apparently root cannot log in on smb

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 156

NugentS

MVP
Try changing permissions on the files - use the recursive button

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
is there a way to use the shell to show the contents of the dataset and delete the folders that way?

NugentS

MVP
Well you could just delete the entire dataset - but the issue sounds like permissions so you need to create a user, give them permissions to the dataset recursively (so it travels down the tree) and then you should be golden.
You cannot log into a SAMBA share as root - that a deliberate design choice of TrueNAS

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
Well you could just delete the entire dataset - but the issue sounds like permissions so you need to create a user, give them permissions to the dataset recursively (so it travels down the tree) and then you should be golden.
You cannot log into a SAMBA share as root - that a deliberate design choice of TrueNAS
im creating a new user but i dont see anything that says recursive, and how can i give permission to specific datasets? the dataset with the problem files are the root dataset so i dont think i can change permissions for that one

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Never put files in the root dataset.

OK, so you need to
  • create a dataset.
  • login via SSH as root
  • cd /mnt/yourpool
  • mv <all your files> <your new dataset> - going to take a while
  • the recursively set the owner of the dataset to the desired new user
  • use that user for sharing

plasmawolf18

Dabbler
thank you both for the help, especially nugentS. ive decided to take the previous advice to delete the dataset and just start over. all this complicated stuff is just doing my head in, im not enjoying my nas as much as id like so a fresh start is needed. its gonna take some some time but no more importing disks and no more files in the root dataset. lessons learned. hopefully this threads helps someone else someday

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Not intending to add insult to injury, just for completeness - here's the relevant parts of the documentation:

It is recommended to organize your pool with datasets before configuring data sharing, as this allows for more fine-tuning of access permissions and using different sharing protocols.

First Steps
Create a Dataset
It is recommended to create a new dataset and set the Share Type to SMB for the new SMB share.

Kind regards,
Patrick