Cant delete files

andyphoto

Cadet
Hi, I am new to TrueNas and not great with computers. I have created various pools and datasets and yesterday I managed to import files from an external drive into one of the datasets that I created. Today though I cannot edit the uploaded data, I can view it but not move or delete it. I get the error message You require permission from Unix User\root to make changes to this folder and have no idea where to change this as the rest of the files on this dataset are fine and I can move, delete as I wish. Little confused so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Andy

LarsR

Guru
Are you using SMB? If so you can't use root user to acces the shares. With one of the last updates root no longer can be used to acces smb shares.
Create a new user and add it to the wheel group. Give that user the right permissions and reconnect the network drives. That should fix your problem.

andyphoto

Cadet
Hi LarsR, thanks for your response. I'm not sure I quite get it as I am really not that familiar with the terminology but will see if I can work it out from what you have put. Not sure what SMB is. Thanks Andy

LarsR

Guru
Maybe this will help you more:

1. create a new user under account -> users
create User.JPG

2. Edit your share permissions under storage -> pools -> klick the three dots on the right
Dataset.JPG

Edit Permissions.JPG

Set the ACL's to what you want them to be

3. Enable SMB with the Menu Point Service
smb service.JPG

4. Create an SMB Share with Sharing SMB (Windows Share)
SMB Share.JPG

5. Go "Your PC" on your Desktop PC and connect a network share and login with the credentials of your newly created user.
Then you should be able to see your Data and be able to Edit/Delte Files.

Attachments

• Dataset.JPG
    Dataset.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 479
  • Edit Permissions.JPG
    Edit Permissions.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 530