Total IT Noob can't install TrueNas on pendrive.

leonardo93

Cadet
Hello there,
The title should be a disclaimer already. I am working in a recording studio where we had some HDD going around. The previous engineer set up a FreeNAS system, but that computer broke, so I am trying to install the OS on a USB pendrive. I have been following this tutorial:

I am currently the TrueNAS 13.0 ISO image.

Long story short we got an empty computer where I attached the HDD and I managed to boot it with the pendrive where the ISO image is (both SanDisk 16gb, FAT32 format) but all I get are these two screens (see attachments). Anyone can give me some heads up in a IT noob language?
Thanks in adavance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-05 at 11.54.25.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-05 at 11.54.25.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 208
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-05 at 11.55.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-05 at 11.55.11.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 213

irTwit

Dabbler
Last edited:

Paul5

Contributor
I still use USB drives and over the years errors such as yours may have been from poor/tired USB connections. TN12 and my current mirrored USBs have been used for over 4 years (knock on wood I don't jinx it)

Simplest method, Disconnect drives and place both USBs in the PC, assuming the second USB has been formated with no operating system or part operating system then boot and follow the instructions. If it doesn't boot into the TN USB then your PC is not set up to look into USBs, a quick way around is by looking at the boot screen and it will tell what key is for the boot menu. Some are F8 others F12 if so then boot into and select the boot USB with TN in it and start the process. You will later have to set up the bios to boot from the installed TN USB.

To concerve your USBs life use a small unencrypted Dataset on a HDD for the System Dataset. This way you can still use the rest of the disk for other Datasets that can be encrypted.

If your USBs still fail it could be faulty or corrupt USB. You can also try using HDD low level formating tool. It's free.