SOLVED Tons of uncorrectable parity/CRC errors after changing CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
I changed the CPU on my box because I wanted to try and get some VMs running. The system posted normally and I was able to see the CPU in the BIOS, but when FreeNAS was booting I got a screenfull of these errors, and it kept going.

xscAkga.jpg

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
I checked, and the web interface is accessible now. The volume is marked as degraded even though all I did was take the drives out, change the CPU, then put them back in. It's a RAIDZ2 of 15 drives.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
One drive appears "unavailable" so I'm guessing I either detached a cable or killed a drive while changing the CPU. I'll have to figure out which one.

sfcredfox

Patron
I'm not an expert at this one, but it does look like the system is not being able to communicate with one of those drives. Probably a cable check to find a loose connection will get you going. I think you're on the right track.

I can't remember if FreeNAS/BSD gets mad at switching drive locations or not, but I don't think so. It's only a guess, but I think even if you put two drives back in different places, the pool will still be fine. Don't hold me to that one though.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In the storage pool, you could shuffle them like a deck of cards and ZFS wouldn't care, but the CRC errors indicate a bad connection with one of the cables.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
I'm not an expert at this one, but it does look like the system is not being able to communicate with one of those drives. Probably a cable check to find a loose connection will get you going. I think you're on the right track.

I can't remember if FreeNAS/BSD gets mad at switching drive locations or not, but I don't think so. It's only a guess, but I think even if you put two drives back in different places, the pool will still be fine. Don't hold me to that one though.

It turns out there indeed was a SATA cable that was bumped. I made sure everything was pressed into place and reseated all the drives in the hotswap bays, and I think it works just fine now.

Shiroi Kage

Explorer
In the storage pool, you could shuffle them like a deck of cards and ZFS wouldn't care, but the CRC errors indicate a bad connection with one of the cables.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
This is good to know. Also, you're right in that one drive was not reachable. I think I bumped a SATA cable while changing the CPU. All is good now. Thanks y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.