How to stop checking drive for CRC/Parity Errors

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
Hi!
I'm getting these errors repeatedly:

Code:
> (ada0:ahcich0:0:0:0): WRITE_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 61 b0 30 b7 a8 40 02 00 00 00 00 00
> (ada0:ahcich0:0:0:0): CAM status: Uncorrectable parity/CRC error
> (ada0:ahcich0:0:0:0): Retrying command

This drive is an SSD that is connected to the computer via a cheap PCIE to SATA expansion card (Asmedia 106x). I think maybe the PCIE SATA card is really the issue because I did not have this error on this drive until I moved it from the motherboard SATA port to the expansion card. This drive has absolutely no importance at all in the system. It's got 1 virtual drive on it with a Windows 10 in a VM just for occasionally playing with. How can I stop whatever checking of this drive is resulting in this repeating error?

Thank you!
Very Respectfully,
John

Last edited:

anmnz

Patron
How can I stop whatever checking of this drive is resulting in this repeating error?

It's not "checking the drive". It's not claiming that the drive itself has some kind of problem.

It is telling you that data actually being read from the drive is being corrupted in-flight. (This can be caused by bad cables, your SATA card being bad, and so on.)

You aren't going to be able to turn that logging off easily, even if you wanted to for some reason.

NavyLCDR

Dabbler
Thank you! I'm going to move the SSD to a SATA port on the motherboard and move an unused spare HDD to the PCIE SATA controller board and see where the error goes then.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You won't see an error if no data is being transferred, but you never want to ignore an error thinking it is bogus. Always look for a root cause.
a cheap PCIE to SATA expansion card (Asmedia 106x).
There is the problem. Pull that out an burn it in a fire, or send it back to where you bought it from. It is either that or the cable. CRC errors are almost always the cable, but a bad controller can do it too.
If you need to add a controller to get more ports for connecting drives, you should use a SAS HBA like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-w-LSI-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/333201211230
This particular one even comes with a breakout cable. Looks like a bargain to me.