Time Machine on macOs Sonoma

eng

Cadet
Hi,

I have two macbooks. One has Ventura installed, on the other I have upgraded to Sonoma.
The settings for smb share (multi-user Time Machine) and backup datasets are identical.

The problem is that macOs Sonoma backup dataset has stopped creating automatic Snapshots.
In the dataset with Ventura everything works fine.

Auto snapshot is created when macOs disconnects smb share, right?

Does this mean that this is a bug on the macOs Sonoma side?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

eng

Cadet
Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3

After the backup is complete, sbm share disconnects correctly.

bubbinator91

Cadet
Yep, I'm getting this exact issue on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.1 and a 2021 MBP after upgrading to Sonoma. Last snapshot I have is from the last backup from Ventura. No snapshots created since then. Along with that, time machine has become quite flaky as to if it will even complete a backup successfully when in sleep. Since I changed nothing on the TrueNAS side, I'm guessing they broke something in Sonoma.

netsrot

Cadet
Hello, I have the same problem with truenas Macos Sonoma and the Timemachine.
I use TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2.

netsrot

Cadet
I have now noticed that the TimeMachine backups work when I create a dataset with quota. If I do not set a quota for the TimeMachine dataset then no backups work under somona. Is this normal?

vlhjkasnkl31

Cadet
Bumpity, bump, bump.

All Sonoma machines here, seeing same thing, although new to TrueNAS to no reference point before TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1.

Of interest, after a successful backup, the mount does seem to hang around.

bubbinator91

Cadet
The issue was logged in iXsystems' Jira instance (NAS-125197). Essentially, the fix came to Scale in 23.10.1, but won't come to Core until 13.1. I can confirm that the fix does indeed work, but tmprotect seems to only work with a multi-user time machine share/dataset and not a basic/single user so keep that in mind.