this as mobo for my NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binnesman

Cadet
Hello,
I plan to build inexpensive, low power consumption NAS, which I would use as a home server to store photos, films and music and which will be used mainly for streaming the films and music. I am thinking about using X9SBAA-F mobo, with just 8GB RAM and 4x 1 TB HDD in RAIDZ1 (I plan to backup the most valuable data on multiple locations). I am a bit concerned about the possibility of having only 8GB of RAM when a everywhere is recommended at least 16 GB.

I spent already some time on reading the forum and picking the HW (especially this post made me consider more expensive, server-grade HW), but all setups were quite expensive for me and seemed little too much for my 1 TB of movies and about 100 GB of photos and music. The X9SBAA-F seems to be just what I am looking for - server quality, yet cheap to purchase and run.

My intention is not a breathtaking performance, but just simple, relatively cheap, but still reliable NAS for home use.

Do you think the above setup will do for what I need, or is the 8 GB of RAM just too little for NAS?

paleoN

Wizard
Do you think the above setup will do for what I need, or is the 8 GB of RAM just too little for NAS?
8 GB of RAM is fine. Just be sure to pick up an 8 GB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.