Should I start a FreeNAS project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izhkoort

Cadet
Hi guys

I'm new with NAS but have been wanting a file server + media server for some time, because we have more than a couple of devices and with my partner want a place to leave all shared data well organized

I'll what I need for the server and what it would cost me, and then I'll put my questions below

Needs:
--> File server for photos, videos, personal data, etc.
--> Media server to stream movies and music
--> Sync de server with a cloud for backup
--> RAID 1

In my country an ECC system could cost around this:
CPU: Celeron G3930 -> ~$30
MoBo: Supermicro Mb X11ssl-f -> ~$275
RAM: Some HP Proliant RAM 8GB (part n°: 759934-B21) x1 -> ~$115
Case: Deapcool Wave V2 -> ~$40
PSU: Corsair RM650x -> ~$160
Subtotal: ~$620 without drives or UPS

For comparisson:
-> Qnap Ts-251a : ~$475
-> Non-ECC PC: ~$335
CPU: Celeron G3930 -> ~$30
MoBo: Msi B250m Pro-vh -> ~$90
RAM: Adata 8GB x1 -> ~$85
Case: Deapcool Wave V2 -> ~$40
PSU: Evga Gd 450w 80 Plus Gold -> ~$90

Also I will have some non-ECC spare parts in near future (G4560 with 2x4GB ram) that would drop the price of a non-ECC PC

What should I do? is possible to build a non-ECC PC (w/risks)? should I still try an ECC PC? or should I use a prebuilt system?

I apologies for my English, i'm not native speaker, and if something is incompatible

Thanks!
KR

kdragon75

Wizard
ECC is not required but helps keep data safer. Non=ECC is not more risk than a normal PC. It looks like you are planning to build minimum specs. This may be an issue for streaming id transcoding is needed.

Izhkoort

Cadet
Thanks for the help! I'm really glad to hear that!

I may have in the near future a couple of spare parts when we upgrade one of our pcs. Would this be good then?
(CPU, MoBo and 2x4gbRAM are the spare parts)
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
MoBo: Asus H170I-PRO/CSM
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2x4gb (could upgrade to 2x8gb)
Case: Anything with 2 3.5'' drive bays
PSU: low wattage 80+ Gold or better
Drives: 1 drive for OS and 2 drives for the storage

That would be better to start with? Should I use something else?

Thanks again!

kdragon75

Wizard
MoBo: Asus H170I-PRO/CSM
That's the last motherboard you should pick. I like Asus but that board has wifi (wont work) probably uses realtek LAN (flaky and unreliable in BSD), sound (unneeded) and lots of flashy things like stainless IO ports that wont do anything for you unless you live by the sea and let the salt water spray on your server.
If your data is important, read some of the hardware guides to find more suitable parts.

Izhkoort

Cadet
Asus H170I-PRO/CSM has two lan adapters, one is realtek, the other one is "Intel I219V"

And I know it has things that are useless for freenas, I put it there because I already own it, I don't have to buy it

What are you suggesting I should get? I'll search more guides in the meantime, but the guides I found generally suggested really expensive parts

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.