DIY NAS - 1st build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks for the detailed info re: IPMI. If I'm following you, IPMI will be set up via MOBO jumbers, BIOS, & Ipmitools. Is basic config relatively straight forward for a newbie?

You might need to set an IP address in the system BIOS if your network won't DHCP (or you can't figure out where it DHCP'd), but that's really about the extent of visibility to the system. No jumpers (might be one to disable it but what's the point). You'll use a web browser to do all the basic stuff; wait on trying to twiddle anything with ipmitools until you have figured out the BMC webserver.

Now a bit of advice. Spend some time with it PRIOR to installing anything (important) on the system. Go through all the menus and all the features, try them out, play, etc., then reset it all back to defaults at the end. There's no better way to learn the system than to actually use it. When you can boot a DOS floppy disk whose image is uploaded by your PC, and run a Linux livecd whose image is on a Samba server on your network NOT served via your PC, you're probably close to having explored all the nifty save-yer-rear options.

The Supermicro stuff isn't super-polished, certainly not as much as HP's iLO, but it seems approximately just as functional, so you can get a lot of mileage out of it. The thing is, you won't need the stuff 99.9% of the time, but when you can make use of it, you can REALLY make use of it, and that'll be when something else is wrong with your server, so that is absolutely the wrong time to be familiarizing yourself with how to get this stuff to work for you. Do that now and have some fun with it.

I've set up numerous HP servers without touching them except to plug in power and network cables. Most of them have never seen a VGA or PS/2 cable hooked up to them. Frankly, cat5 wiring is easy and fun compared to KVM, and I don't miss it.

cpotter638

Dabbler
Thanks for the input Jgreco. I plan on tinkering with the system before installing any important data. Unfortunately I have a LOT to learn.

More info re: my 2U PSU question:

Planned equipment:
•Case: Norco RPC-2212 case
•MOBO: Supermicro X9SCM-F
•CPU: Intel E3-1230
•Memory: 2x Crucial 4Gb DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered
•Hard drives:
Initial setup - 6x Seagate 2.0Tb Barracuda Green
Potential expansion - Add 6x additional Tb drives

I saw 2U PSU options previously on Newegg. However:
•I am not familiar with server brands
•I don't know suggested PSU size. For what its worth, I tried the "online calculators". These were all over the map. One estimated 500W and the other estimated 250W. Both estimates include only 6 hard drives.
•There is very little feedback for Newegg server PSU.

Assuming I go with the RPC-2212 case, does anyone:
•Have a recommended PSU wattage?
•Have a specific recommendation on a 2U PSU that will work with the RPC-2212?

b1ghen

Contributor
Assuming I go with the RPC-2212 case, does anyone:
•Have a recommended PSU wattage?

Depending on if you can get the drives to spinup staggered or not it will be quite the difference in power requirements.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Newegg is a poor place to shop for rackmount gear, unless you already know what you want and they happen to have it, in which case their prices are at least close to competitive. For retail rackmount gear sales, could try places like

http://www.rackmountnet.com/power-supply-c-74.html

get a bunch of part numbers, key them into Froogle, and see who has a good selection and low prices. Rack mount gear is notoriously overpriced, and the 2U stuff is mainly on the outs because data centers have favored density (1U, blades, etc). That said, I still like the 2U form factor quite a bit since it balances high functionality/flexibility with a small footprint.

cpotter638

Dabbler
Going with Supermicro X9SCM-F for MOBO. Was planning on E3-1230 for CPU. However, today Newegg has combo deal with X9SCM-F & E3-1220 with $60 off.

Given my scenario, would I see much of a performance difference between the E3-1220 and E3-1230? I would guess not. Either processor is surely overkill for my NAS. Agree?

b1ghen

Contributor
Going with Supermicro X9SCM-F for MOBO. Was planning on E3-1230 for CPU. However, today Newegg has combo deal with X9SCM-F & E3-1220 with $60 off.

Given my scenario, would I see much of a performance difference between the E3-1220 and E3-1230? I would guess not. Either processor is surely overkill for my NAS. Agree?

Completely agree, the 1220 should be plenty whatever workload you throw at it.

b1ghen

Contributor
Just checked it on Newegg and there is a combo with the 1230 as well for $30 more :)

cpotter638

Dabbler
Cannot find the 1230 combo for some reason. You have a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.