Setup for 6 drives with 2 spares (4+2)

markomo

Cadet
Hi all, I am total nob and just have hardware ready for setup (did a test installation) and I will need an advice for setup.
There are a lots of questions and answers to similar questions.

I am looking into setting up TrueNas with 6 drives (if that's better option) with size of 8 TB (best value for the money). I am not looking for big capacity and not care much about usable space. I would be okey with 20-24 TB at the end and for longer term.
I have music, photos, my main PC weekly backups to store. Speed is not important that much, I have 1 Gb network so does not really matter overall.

I am looking more for data integrity and less chance to loose data (with any configuration up to 6 drives * 8 TB.
What I've found RAIDZ2 would be best option. I am wondering how should I setup my pool(s)? I am thinking of 4 + 2 drives; 4 data and 2 cold spares or .. I am new in this but do not want make big mistake in choosing optimal option.

I have PC ready with 32 GB RAM, RAIDZ2 should not be a problem. Thanks in advance!

c77dk

Patron
When you have a total of 6 drives, just put them all in one raidz2 vdev (and do proper burn-in). That would give you about 22TiB usable space.

markomo

Cadet
That sound like a good plan. I am not exactly sure what redudancy I get and what (which) drive can fail without having data lost. Replacing drive procedure and all of that. I am not sure what burn in means and how to do it / what it does. I want to keep backups on it, music and photos (which is important). Thinking about getting another 8 TB drive for cold copies for what's important and can't be lost in any case.

Just thinking about how long will it actually last; it won't be under any heavy load and usage.

I am thinking to add two SSD-s and use them for VMs. Will that work without problem as different vdev? It should not effect performance.
Main system drive is m2 gen 3, that should run quiet good. I want it to run at least 3-4 years hopefully.

Another question on top of this; I have some older mixed drives (wd green, wd black, seagate baracuda and all 2 TB in size). Adding them as a another pool should work and would not effect performance of the 6 drive raidz2?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am not exactly sure what redudancy I get and what (which) drive can fail without having data lost.
Really, you should do some reading on ZFS to understand this, but with RAIDZ2, any two drives can fail without data loss.
Replacing drive procedure and all of that.
I am not sure what burn in means and how to do it / what it does.

sretalla