SOLVED Thick Provisioning on NFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to add a VM in ESXi to a NFS datastore on my FreeNAS 9.10. When I get to the options for thick/thin provisioning its all greyed out. Looked around found some information about quotas needing to be defined on FreeNAS NFS for thick provisioning. So I added the quota and tried again to no avail. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
So are you able to continue creating the VM or are you stopped? The material I saw just said that you would only be able to create a thin provisioned drive, maybe with them all grayed out that is still the final result?

Thanks joeschmuck, I think I got it working now with Thick Provisioning. I was trying to configure the new VM using vSphere and didn't see the notice that said I have to use the web client to create a VM with all the features in 6.0, I've got a thick provisioned machine zeroing the datastore now, will update if it finishes properly. Thank you for the help!!

Yep.... That was it. Use vSphere to configure and it isn't available, use web client and it's there.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ah, yes, ESXi 6.0 did make a few changes. There are pros and cons to this but if you had vCenter (What VMWare wants you to pay for) then it would be super easy. I still use vSphere where I can to manipulate my VMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.